Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2013 12:00

1320C, firmware update error

I should start by saying that I was an idiot. I was trying to re-add the printer to my computer (windows 7) and I wasn't sure what software I needed to run. It turns out I started the firmware update software. While that was working, I forgot it was running and found the IP address to the printer and changed some settings and restarted it. Yes, while the firmware was running! Of course, that hosed it up. Now, it won't work at all, and I can't install the firmware. It just hangs. I moved it over to USB to install the firmware, but that didn't help either. Is there something I can do to make the printer accept the firmware, or something else I can do and get it to work again?

Thank you for your help.

Ben

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 5th, 2013 20:00

Hi Ben,

Please help me with few details about the printer model. I will provide the procedure to install the printer drivers and correct firmware software for the printer.

You can also private message me the service tag of the printer. To private message click my user name, select Add as friend, and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

January 6th, 2013 17:00

Thank you for your response. Sorry. It's a dell 1320c.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 7th, 2013 03:00

Hi krenshau,

There are a set of Services which has to be started. These are required by the printer to print the documents from the computer.

Perform the steps below and ensure that the services required are started:

1. Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.
  2. Type “Services.msc” in the run window and hit the Enter key.

Right click each service mentioned below, click properties. Set the startup type as “Automatic” from the drop down menu and click “Start”. Please click “Apply” to save the changes.

The services to be enabled are:

• Human Interface Devices (HID).
  • Printer Spooler.
  • RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
  • RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call Locator).
  • Windows image acquisition (WIA).
  • Windows Installer.

After starting the services, restart the computer and try to print from the computer. If the problem still persists uninstall the printer drivers from the computer.

Follow the steps to uninstall the printer drivers from the computer:

1. Click “Start”.
  2. Select “Control Panel”.
  3. Select “Programs and Features” (for windows vista or windows 7 operating system) or “Add or Remove Program” (for windows xp operating system).
  4. Select the printer model Dell 1320C and uninstall it
  5. Restart the computer for saving the changes.

These steps will uninstall the printer drivers.

Insert the printer driver’s cd for 1320C printer and install the drivers in the computer.

If the cd is unavailable use the following steps to download the printer drivers.

Download the printer driver from the link below.

http://dell.to/W3XZiW

NOTE: Please do not connect the printer using the USB cable to the computer prior to installing the drivers. Please choose the right operating system from the list under operating system.

Please copy the above mentioned link, paste it in the address bar of the new internet explorer window.

1. Select the operating system of your computer from the list.
  2. Save the file to the desktop.
  3. Double-Click the downloaded file.
  4. Click “Yes”, when the utility prompts to extract the files.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  6. Connect the printer using the USB cable when prompted.

Try printing the document from the computer and reply with results.

3 Posts

February 20th, 2016 04:00

I did almost the exact same mistake, I canceled the firmware update in windows 10 and the printer is now "bricked" somehow, I can't reset it to factory default either (open the side door hold down Continue and the Cancel button thing), the printer just lights up and after a couple of seconds the error ! flashes so help is appreciated. is there a way force load a firmware or to load the default one or do i need to go look for a new printer because of this?

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 04:00

Any update on my query or if possible an answer to me question? I'd really want to know if it's at least possible to fix or not.

3 Posts

February 26th, 2016 05:00

I guess not then, just to inform anyone else stumbling in that after trolling the interwebs most that have my problem can't solve it. You need to access the single-board computer inside the printer with outside devices or "get lucky" (like Daft Punk) and keep updating the firmware until it goes through.

So goodbye 1320c ye faithful I wish you luck in printer heaven.

1 Message

February 8th, 2019 15:00

I am reading this right now as mine is soft-bricked (Dell H625CDW) and there is no way to reset it. I am shocked that they didn't even bother giving a response.

1 Message

September 19th, 2020 16:00

Hello,

I know that, it's being a while you had this problem, and probably you thrown this printer.. But maybe someone will reach this page with the same problem, and will be happy to find a solution...

.. I faced to a similar problem..I got this printer and it was not working at all (no print, no USB detection, no RJ45 detection)

Diagnosis (with CONTINUE button while it switched ON) gave me a "ESS ROM CHECK FAILURE" and the reset trick (CONTINUE & CANCEL with side cover open) was not doing anything... well this was not really well engaged but...

Doing this, worked for me (hope this can help someone)

1. Plug your printer with usb cable to your computer 
  2. Download last firmware, and execute it until you are on USB page detection (it detect nothing, it's normal, your printer is still died at this level)
  3. Printer OFF
  4. CONTINUE & CANCEL button pressed, side cover open
  5. Printer ON (with button still pressed) and wait 5-10sec, even if it doesn't do anything on the control panel... 
  6. Side cover close, release buttons
  7. Wait printer doing a 1 second noise (like advance 1 page)
  8. Switch OFF
  9. Hold CONTINUE button alone pressed
  10. Switch ON, CONTINUE still pressed (few seconds), this will ask to printer to skip POST tests
  11. Release button, control panel show printer "Like ready mode" of something better than before (even if still died at this level)
  12. Observe your computer, should start to install a new usb device... once the printer appear (+refresh button), update the firmware (Wait 100% before doing anything) 
  13. Your printer came back from heaven !!! 

hope this help ...

No Events found!