Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

July 17th, 2009 10:00

1700n Halts printing/jams on every job

I have a 1700n. A few days ago I had a massive paper jam and ahd to pull out the paper at the rear panal with tweezers. Since than it stops printing the first page of a job halfway thru the cycle.
The paper is pulled from the drawer and toner is applied to the paper for approx 2/3 of the paper. When the paper gets an inch or two past the last set of rollers (by the back door) it just stops.  The printer shows a "Jam" and I have to pull the paper out. This can be done quiet easily. The paper is the standard paper I havbe using for years. The paper isn't bunching either,  printing just stops. I tried the manual feed, that does not work at all.  I have changed paper but it keeps happening regardless what I do.
Somewhere on the forum (early 2007) I found the comment that this is a fairly common problem with these printers for which an engineer is problably needed. It was suggested to try the following:
1 Test print from the MPF. Does it jam in the same place?
2 Test print with the back door open, Does it jam?
If the anwser was yes to both of these the fuser needs to be replaced.
Did anybody experience the same problem? Was it solved by replacing the fuser or did you solve it in some other way?
NB What is the fuser?

1.7K Posts

July 20th, 2009 08:00

Sounds like the Exit Sensor (mounted in the fuser) got damaged during the "bad" jam.

A fuser replacement will fix this; Dell p/n H4919 (USA)

If you remove the rear cover and expose the fuser, you should see a little plastic spring-loaded arm mounted at the fuser exit area. I've seen bad jams break or dislodge this little arm. The technical name for this arm is "sensor flag".

If you're mechanically inclined, take a good picture of this area and attach it to your reply. I'll evaluate the picture and see if we can figure out what needs to be done next.

No Events found!