Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2008 20:00

3110cn - missing Duplex in printing preferences for some users

Have had the 3110cn for quite awhile and am mostly pleased with it.  Several weeks ago, the main two people who use the printer somehow lost the ability to specify Duplex in Printing Preferences.  The Duplex option and the dropdown is just not there!!

BTW - Network connected printer

If I add this printer on a PC that has not used the printer before, same problem.  I have uninstalled driver on individual PCs, and even reinstalled on server to no avail.  My laptop has the Duplex option available (and always did) and it works just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.  The two without the option are the ones who most often use it!

1.7K Posts

September 4th, 2009 06:00

This problem seems to keep re-appearing.... the common theme being "it used to work, but now it doesn't". There must be a reason, and something must have changed for that to have happened.

Can you tell me when it stopped working (date)?
Can you tell me exactly how your network is configured?
How is the printer connected to the main computer?
How many PC's are on your network, just the 3 you mention, or more?
How were the drivers installed on each PC?

Since it used to work, and now doesn't..... not to sure we can point our fingers at the driver just yet.

September 7th, 2009 14:00

Thank you for your help.

Date: I wasn't paying attention. Somewhere in the last month it changed.

The network is a Windows network. 1 main computer that has all printers attached by USB cable. The Dell printer is not directly on the network. 3 other computers that are on a small office network using a  Linksys wireless hub. When you want to add a printer to the network it loads the driver on each computer. If you go to the main server computer you can access the duplexer. You cannot from any other computer.

There are 4 computers connected if you include the laptop which is the only wireless. Because it runs Vista you can get the duplexer.

How were the drivers installed? I used a program called Netowrk Magic by Cisco. I believe it goes and gets the driver from the main computer and installs it locally. I even tried to download the driver from one of the network computers (not the main one) from Dell's website but it said the driver was the lastest version. So all computers have the lastest driver but all the duplexer is grayed out.

I could understand if the driver window allowed for a duplex feature but it didn't work. But this window is completely grayed out. I thought perhaps there was a permission that I am supposed to give it from the main driver software but I could not find any such thing in the Dell software.

1 Message

October 20th, 2013 15:00

I just love stupid answers.   That is answer that do not even come close to trying to answer the question!

No Events found!