Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2009 11:00

AIO 966 Paper Jam message

I have an AIO 966 photo printer that used to print beautifully but seems to have developed a handicap.  Every time I turn the machine on the LCD screen immediately begins giving instructions on how to clear a paper jam in the back door.  The problem is, there is no paper jam.

From my computer I can use the machine to scan images, but when I try to print or copy I receive a message telling me that the printer is busy.  I can't to anything from the operator's panel on the printer because the jam removal instructions keep flashing and won't let me clear that message.

I've scoured every inch of the machine and can find nothing out of place.  I've held it upside down and shaken it in hopes of loosening some jammed sensor.  I've even intentionally shoved paper in by hand to create a jam in order to have one to remove in hopes that it would help clear the error message, all to no avail.  I am up in arms regarding what to do with this printer. 

I don't feel like spending $50 to talk to Dell support just to have them tell me something is wrong and that I need to have someone fix it, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2009 11:00

UsuallyConfused,

I see that you tried the Print roller and Jam problems post. I have a 964 that looks similar to the 966. See if there is some type of black switch that might be slightly raised. I really couldn't find the switch, but I know there is one there. It may be out of place and/or may need moved a few times. I keep my printer covered, unless I'm scanning/copying something. I don't have a back door, I looked in the ADF and there is one there and there's one where the paper travels.

Rick

January 3rd, 2009 13:00

I opened the ADF and found a black switch there, and I also opened the back door and found a black switch there.  I moved both of them around  and they both appear to move freely, as I imagine they are supposed to.  I can hear a slight "tick" each time I depress the switches, which I assume means that whatever they are contacting knows they are moving.  Nothing changed with the behavior of the printer when I did this, so still no go. 

I was really hoping the Print Roller and Jam Problems post was going to help me...that's usually my favorite type of solution, but no such luck.  I've had all the doors open and covers off and can find nothing out of the ordinary.  I manually fed a sheet of paper partway through, intending to create a jam so I could unjam the machine when I turned it on and it flashed a paper jam message, but as soon as I turned the printer on it fed the sheet right through and spit it out as though it was mocking me.

I suppose a sensor has gone bad or has a faulty connection somewhere?  If it would let me do anything it would be encouraging but the fact that the moment it is powered up it starts flashing instructions to open the rear door and remove the paper jam almost indicates that the problem must be originating with the software and not in the moving parts of the printer.  It never even recognizes that the back door has been opened or closed, never moves the ink cartridges to the center when I open the main access, and does not register that I have pressed a key on the keypad.

Thanks for the suggestion, and keep firing away if you have any more ideas...it is appreciated!

Josh

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2009 15:00

Josh,

I wonder if it has something to do with a fix in the Firmware, not mentioned. Try installing the latest firmware for the 966 printer

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

and see what happens.

Rick

January 11th, 2009 14:00

I tried unsuccessfully twice to install the latest firmware but at 99% complete the session stops responding.  No success.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 11th, 2009 16:00

Josh,

You have to be using the USB Cable to install the firmware for the 966 printer. If you're running a Vista machine, I suggest you follow the instructions below to correctly install the printer.

Recommended wireless router settings to get everything to work correctly.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA Security. Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

To install the printer properly, the best way is to follow the instructions below.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers, you'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

Rick

1 Message

February 28th, 2009 08:00

I had the EXACT SAME problem w/ my 966. I read your post and the responses posted here already. I reluctantly did the firmware flash and updated the driver, just because it was the easiest thing to try. Next, I pulled all the cables from the back, and removed the power brick and let it sit for 10 minutes. Reconnected just the power brick and cable, same error.  Frustrating! So here's what to try:

1. Pull everything from the back, including the power brick.
  2. Remove the  paper feed tray and turn  the unit completely upside down. Open the rear door again, just because. (This is like killing a chicken and doing a dance).
  3. What  you're looking for is the black metal roll bar, sitting just behind the white paper-feed butterfly looking things.
  4. Manually rotate that bar in either direction. I turned it in both directions just to be thorough.
  5. Depending on your orientation, to one side of center or the other,  there is also a plastic black cylinder around that roll bar with little teeth poking out every so often- it may be stuck into place. Make sure you move it to where it spins freely.
  6. Touch anything else you want to- make sure everything that looks like it should move IS moving.
  7. Spray it out with some compressed air for good measure.
  8. Flip it back over, reconnect everything and you should be good to go. I was. :emotion-1:

Thanks,

Julie

1 Message

January 10th, 2012 11:00

I am in the same exact boat!

UGH

did you ever get an answer???

No Events found!