Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2009 11:00

Color Cartridge Printer 720

I have a Dell Printer 720 and my color cartridge will not print.  Black prints fine.  Uninstalled and reinstalled printer.  Checked USB connection.  Checked as default printer. cleaned nozzles.  Cartridge is fairly new.  Used before just stopped working.  Anything else I can try before I buy a new cartridge?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 13th, 2009 12:00

rzjflick,

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages the printer in getting. Plug everything back in. Power on the printer. Open the printer and remove the Black Dell Series 1 ink cartridge. Make sure the tape is off the cartridge and then reseat the Dell Series 1 ink cartridge. Now do the same for the Color Dell Series 1 ink cartridge. Close the printer and it should print an alignment page. What happens? Do you see color on the page that was just printed? Can you copy a color document under the glass?

Dell Series 1 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 1 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 1 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

2 Posts

April 13th, 2009 16:00

Funny but I have the exact same problem that just came up on my  Dell 720 Photo Printer just recently; my black cartridge worked for awhile and the cyan was cutting out on the color cartridge, but now the black won't work at all, and the cyan works for a couple inches at the top of the page then disappears. Cleaned the nozzles via the printed page method under Printer Support Maintenance and then also wiped them down as instructed in Tech Support on website for this printer, and the blue works better now (bet not for long tho)  but the black still shoots a little ink then quits.  The indicator is showing almost full on the black and half full on the color.   Pudgy One, i tried everything you mentioned and it is still not working right, although the blue did work better after wiping the cartridge nozzles.  But the black....almost nothing...don't want to spend $49 to ask Dell if their cartridges could be defective, and can't hear on the phone to call them anyway; incidentally the cartridges in my machine say Series 1 (these are the standard capacity, I think) , not Series 5.  Asked Dell if they would replace them and they kind of shoved me off to Tech Support, which is useless because my printer is out of warranty and I am not about to spend $50 to ask a question about their likely defective cartridges when that is half the cost of  a new printer and a little more than a new set of cartridges, BUT.....  Let me know if you have any luck with this!!  Or any other suggestions! Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 13th, 2009 17:00

Aangles,

You are correct, they are Dell Series 1 cartridges, I made a mistake. If you purchased the Dell Series 1 cartridges from Dell, the call them 1-800-449-3355. The place of purchase is the place to contact for a replacement cartridge. Yes, they do understand that they can have a faulty sensor.

Rick

I edited the above post to reflect the Dell Series 1 cartridges.

2 Posts

April 14th, 2009 01:00

Thanks, Rick!  My problem is that I am hearing-impaired and I can't hear on the phone to call them; got these thru Dell.com.  I emailed Dell Customer Service and of course they pointed me to Tech Support, probably because I gave too much technical detail, ha, and you can't email Tech Support unless your machine is under warranty.  In that case the only way to talk to them is to call their expired warranty Tech Support, ...at a $49 minimum charge.  Not fun, not sure what I can do.  But thanks, might continue to try to get thru to them in Customer Service.
By the way, could it be possible there is a problem with the printer head?

Thanks for your help and the quick reply!

Sue

• 

17K Posts

April 14th, 2009 05:00

rzjflick,

Here are the support options. Click the title below. You can also contact support through tty. TTY Support 1-877-DELLTTY (1-877-335-5889...

Support Options

No Events found!