Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2012 18:00

DELL All-In-One Printer Will Scan, But Can't Save The Scan

I have a DIMENSION 3100C, running Windows XP, with a Dell All-In-One Photo Printer 964.  I used to be able to scan documents with it using the Dell All-In-One Center.  Recently it stopped saving scanned documents.  The scanner works.  I can see a Preview of the scanned document.  I set the Productivity Tools to "Scan and save to a PDF format."  I select my "Save As" folder, give the document a name and hit SAVE.   A DELL SCAN STATUS bar appears and it scans.  Next, a PROCESS progress bar should appear and it saves the document.   That's how it used to work.  Now it stops before the PROCESS Bar appears.  The Dell All-In-One Center disappears.  I can scan documents using ABBYY FineReader 6.0  Sprint Plus software, but it takes longer than the Dell All-In-One Center.  What am I missing?  My computer knowledge is medium - just enough to be dangerous to myself and the computer.  Thanks for any suggestions.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 15th, 2012 21:00

ColemanCreative

The best forum to post this in, is the Peripherals/Printers Forum, I am moving the thread to it.

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 15th, 2012 22:00

Hi ColemanCreative

Technical devices can seem complex initially; once we master them it’s a cake walk. I will assist and guide you to get to resolution.

There are a set of Services which has to be started. These are required by the printer to scan the documents from the computer.

Perform the steps below and ensure that the services required are started:

1. Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.
  2. Type “Services.msc” in the run window and hit the Enter key.

Right click each service mentioned below, click properties. Set the startup type as “Automatic” from the drop down menu and click “Start”. Please click “Apply” to save the changes.

The services to be enabled are:

• Human Interface Devices (HID).
  • Printer Spooler.
  • RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
  • RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call Locator).
  • Windows image acquisition (WIA).
  • Windows Installer.

After starting the services, restart the computer and try to print from the computer. If the problem still persists uninstall the printer drivers from the computer.

Follow the steps to uninstall the printer drivers from the computer:

1. Click “Start”.
  2. Select “Control Panel”.
  3. Select “Add or Remove Program” (for windows xp operating system).
  4. Select the printer model Dell 926 and uninstall it
  5. Restart the computer for saving the changes.

These steps will uninstall the printer drivers.

Insert the printer driver’s cd for an Dell 964 printer and install the drivers in the computer.

If the cd is unavailable use the following steps to download the printer drivers.

Download the printer driver from the link below.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/dell-964

NOTE: Please do not connect the printer using the USB cable to the computer prior to installing the drivers. Please choose the right operating system from the list under operating system.

Please copy the above mentioned link, paste it in the address bar of the new internet explorer window.

1. Select the operating system of your computer from the list.
  2. Save the file to the desktop.
  3. Double-Click the downloaded file.
  4. Click “Yes”, when the utility prompts to extract the files.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  6. Connect the printer using the USB cable when prompted.

Try Scanning the document from the computer and reply with results.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 16th, 2012 01:00

ColemanCreative,

Do you have the OCR Program installed?

Start, all programs, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint

Did you Update list of applications to send scans to?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

September 16th, 2012 14:00

Hi Rick,

See the comment to Nikhil.

My Virus Program is Microsoft Security Essentials.

My firewall is Microsoft Firewall.

The applications on my Dell All-In-One screen are:

ABBYY FineReader 6.0  Sprint Plus - Default

Microsoft Paint

Paint Shop Photo Album 5

Jasc Paint Shop Pro Studio

Microsoft Powerpoint

Microsoft Word

Notepad

Wordpad

Acrobat Elements

MSPUB

Photoshop Elements Editor

If I set it for Microsoft Paint, I can get it to Scan and Save a PDF document or photo to the Desktop.

Is there a program I should Add, or Remove, or Move Up in the list?

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Gary

September 16th, 2012 14:00

Hi Nikhil,

I enabled the services.

I uninstalled the printer program.

I installed the printer program from the CD.

The program will scan documents and photos fine.

It will only Save the scan to the Desktop.  If I try to Save to another folder such as My Documents/Gary Coleman/Personal/Medical History, it will not Save the PDF document.

If I scan and save using only ABBYY FineReader 6.0  Sprint Plus software, I can Save the PDF to the Medical History folder.  But I have to go through many more steps.

The Dell 964 was scanning and saving to the Medical History folder fine last week.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Gary

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 10:00

Gary,

Did you purchase Abbyy Plus or is it a trial version?

If you CLICK HERE, on the next page, start conversation with, we can discuss the OCR Program options better there.

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials

Rick

September 17th, 2012 18:00

Hi Rick,

ABBYY FineReader 6.0  Sprint Plus came with the computer.  DELL loaded it.  It's on the printer's software disk.

Gary

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 18th, 2012 04:00

Gary,

I used to own a Dell964 Printer and Abbyy Fine Reader Plus did not come with the printer and was not on the disk.

If you CLICK HERE, on the next page, start conversation with, we can discuss the OCR Program there.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 29th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                                                        

No Events found!