Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2011 12:00

Dell 3115cn error: 016-302 ; does OSX kill my printer?

Today I got a strange error on my 3115cn:

016-302, then something like "restart printer contact support if problem still exists".
After this error, the printer is completely stuck - cannot reach printer via browser / IP to check status.

This happened while printing a page from Mac Pro, via network, from Texteditor, Safari or Firefox webbrowsers.

So I contacted support. They took the time to help me. Solutions offered were upgrade firmware or replace controllerboard (expensive!).
They couldn't really tell me where this code 016-302 stands for.
After updating firmware (I think same version as already on the printer): no improvement.

Then I discover that:

• All testpages from internal printer testroutines print perfectly
  • I can still print from Windows XP.
  • I can still print images from Photoshop from MacOSX.

So: maybe it is a PostScript error from OSX? OSX kills my printer?

Has anyone ever had the same error 016-302 with the 3115cn?

1 Message

October 20th, 2011 18:00

016-302 Restart Printer

Possible Causative Part : Memory

Disconnect All Data Connections From the Printer

Power Cycle the Printer several times.

Print a Parameter Setting Report page on the Dell™ 3110cn printer.

To print a Parameter Setting Report, perform the following steps:

Power off the printer.

Close all printer covers and doors.

Hold down the up and  down buttons on the printer and power the printer on.

Release your fingers from the keys when the message Diagnosing... appears.

Customer Mode and ESS Diag are displayed.

Press the check button to select Customer Mode.

Press the  down button until Parameter appears and press the check button.

On the LCD, the Parameter menu appears.

Press the  down button until Print appears and press the  check button.

The Parameter Setting Report prints.

Press the Cancel button to stop the test.

Remove the Memory

IF, the error did not occur with the memory removed, replace the memory.

IF, the memory has been replaced,  replace the ESS board.

IF, the ESS board has been replaced, replace the printer.

1 Message

June 12th, 2014 09:00

I have recently had this same error on 2 different printers.  Both times the answer was a bad print job in a print queue.  In both instances the user was trying to print a webpage that wasn't printer friendly.

Everytime I would power cycle the printer it would come back up with the same error.  This is because the print queue on the server or PC tries to send the job again as soon as the printer becomes available after the power cycle.

Steps to fix

1 Delete print job from the print queue

2 Power cycle the printer again

1 Message

July 17th, 2014 06:00

Springer Is 100% Correct. Second time with this erro on my second printer. Tech. Support replaced one unit and it happenned again! Then I read this Post! I had I print Job lingering in the Job Cycle.
Now I am printing again!

I was Printing from a Web Page when this happened.

Thank you!:emotion-11:

2 Posts

June 15th, 2014 12:00

Springer's solution is right on target and one that should be checked first.

2 Posts

June 15th, 2014 12:00

Thank you for this post. I just had the very same problem and I had recently added memory so I removed the memory and got the same results. Then I found your post and that was exactly the problem. I was trying to print something from Verizon Wireless' web site that the printer didn't like. After deleting from the queue and restarting my printer the message went away and I was able to print again.

1 Message

June 30th, 2014 13:00

I had the same problem and it was only happening with a certain website with Internet Explorer so I tried it with Chrome and it printed fine.

1 Message

May 27th, 2015 22:00

Thanks, John!

I just got this message and followed your directions and it worked just perfectly for me!!  The first time I ever had a positive response.  I first bought my 3115cn in 2008 and until my extended warranty expired in 2013 Dell replaced my printer eleven times--and I am sure no less than several of those incidences were this exact problem so I'm sure Dell Tech Support must be glad to hear your solution.  Anyway I use Windows-7 on my Dell Precision Workstation.  With Dell I would say don't leave home without an extended warranty!!  Thanks again.  Scott

1 Message

April 17th, 2018 10:00

This worked for me. Thx!

November 8th, 2019 07:00

I know this thread is old however, I experienced this error today.  The printer model I had the issue with was Dell C3760DN.

The issue was that our firewall blocked a user from printing an invoice from a particular website.  

I performed CoreTech11's solution and that seemed to resolve the issue.

No Events found!