Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 30th, 2009 08:00

Dell 5100cn vertical banding print quality issue

Hi

I have a recently ressurected Dell 5100cn colour laser printer.  When printing a full colour image a vertical band down oneside of the page has appeared.  The band is lighter in intensity across all colours giving the impression of a faded line about 3mm wide from top to bottom of the page. eg deep blue appears washed purple colour   The ink is fused correctly and can see no obvious reason for it.  Just printed a black page and it doesn't appear on black only ?  Any ideas ??

John

1.7K Posts

March 30th, 2009 09:00

John,

Fancy meeting you here..... again :emotion-2:

Although your description does you credit, pictures speak a thousand words. Could you possible post an image or two here.

21 Posts

April 1st, 2009 06:00

Hi

Hope you see the image posted, it appears through the purple red and and especially blue but not through the green or black ?  The roller s look OK on first glance .

JM

1.7K Posts

April 1st, 2009 06:00

Hi John,

I see the image and have some suspicions.....

Images that will give me much more info are the 20% density test pages for each color. Do you know how to print these?

Also, which "rollers" are you referring too?

21 Posts

April 1st, 2009 09:00

Hi

Yes they line up, some are stronger deletions than others.  Had a look at the fuser and although there is a squashed area on the orange rollers at each end this is outside the paper path so isn't involved.

Any solution to it ?

Thanks

John

1.7K Posts

John,

This problem is called a "vertical deletion".

Do the Black and Cyan vertical deletions occur in exactly the same position? (with right & left paper edges lined up, overlap each)

21 Posts

Hi

The magenta image uploaded is the worst, the scanned image doesn't give all the lines but the main one is clear enough.  The black and blue also have a similar pale streak in the same place but not as bad as the magenta.  I'd guess the imaging drum is worn but the last user told me they replaced it when they were attempting to fix the problem before

Thanks

1.7K Posts

April 1st, 2009 10:00

John,

Since you indicate the vertical deletions "line up" as referenced horizontally across the page, and on multiple colors, you most likely need a new Imaging Drum assy.

The chart you referenced deals with print defects that repeat from the top of the page to the bottom. In other words, if you had a mark that repeated down the page every 35mm, this would indicate a defective Transfer Roller. This chart does not apply to any defects that occur "across" the page.

Now, if these marks do not exactly line up, you have two other possibilities:

1. The mag roller may have toner clumping in the developer assy that causes a minor "bald" spot that can be seen on the surface of the mag roller. This is most commonly caused by using non-Dell toner.

2. The glass on the face of the Laser Scanning Unit may be contaminated with toner dust. This can't really be effectively cleaned unless the developer frame is first removed from the printer.

21 Posts

April 1st, 2009 10:00

Hi

This page gives useful information: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&dl=true&docid=35141E5D81DCD4E9E040A68F5B286F69&journalid=54E93AE78F74F0ECE040AE0AB7E17486&l=en&s=gen#4

The contamination check gives the stongest streak at 17-18mm again at 80mm and again at 100mm

Pitch (Interval) Dell Component Name
34 mm Developer Assembly
65 mm Transfer Roller
75 mm Imaging Drum
32 mm Imaging Drum
132 mm Imaging Drum
31 mm Imaging Drum
56 mm Imaging Drum
66 mm Imaging Drum
98 mm Fuser
95 mm Fuser
Table 1: Measurement Table

But not sure what this is saying is contaminated, any ideas how & what to clean.

No Events found!