Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2011 08:00

Dell 968 AIO printer will only print in Black and White - not colour.

After replacing the black ink cartridge for my printer the colour one stopped working despite the printer saying it’s full. I thought this might be a problem with the newly installed black cartridge (I’ve no idea why it would affect the colour) but anyway i replaced it with another brand new original black cartridge and still nothing so i replaced the colour cartridge with another brand new original cartridge but the printer just won't print in colour. Every time i put in the colour cartridge it prints an alignment page. After the page is printed it notifies me that there is an error and says to run a few cleaning cycles. I’ve done this but still no colour is printing yet the capacity of the colour cartridge is going down according to the printer. I've completely uninstalled the printer from my computer and reset the printer's settings before reinstalling the printer again using the supplied CD. I'm all out of ideas and haven't a clue how to sort this out.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 6th, 2011 09:00

nintentom,

Are you using Dell Series 7 ink cartridges?

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer.

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 7 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 7 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible that you got a Dell Series 7 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Take it back to the place of purchase for a refund or replacement.

Rick

2 Posts

September 6th, 2011 10:00

Hi Rick,

Many thanks for the reply. I can confirm both the cartridges are original dell series 7 cartridges.

Just tried what you suggested but I’m afraid still no colour is printing. It just leaves anything in colour blank, as if there was nothing there to print. After reinserting the cartridges and closing the lid it prints the alignment page but I still keep getting the following error

''Alignment problem. Verify tape removed from cartridges, run a few cleaning cycles or check troubleshooting. Press (tick) to retry.''

I've checked for any tape that may have remained on the cartridges and run 10s of cleaning cycles, still to no avail.

The colour cartridge was almost full and printing perfectly before i changed the black cartridge but the old colour cartridge i was using and the new one i bought both aren’t working. Though it could be the sensors on the cartridges, i am a bit reluctant to buy a third cartridge as they are so expensive.

Regards,

Tom

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 6th, 2011 10:00

Tom,

Sounds like you got a bad color cartridge. Take it to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

4 Posts

July 30th, 2012 23:00

I am having same problem. I ran the clean cycle and the align cycle. I always purchase my cartridges directly from Dell. I'ved install a new black cartridge but same results.  A 'tinge' of color and the black cartridge prints but starts to blurr if the print is more than a page long.

1 Message

August 30th, 2012 16:00

I too have had the same problem, more than once. Months ago, this happened, so I figured the ink was out even though it didn't say that in the ink levels. So I replaced the cartridge. Now I have a full black, low color, but the black barely prints and there is no color printing even though the cartridge has ink. I'm tired of replacing cartridges when they aren't empty. Any ideas of what's going on?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 1st, 2012 13:00

redh26,

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer.

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 7 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 7 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side) color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side) color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible that you got a Dell Series 7 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Take it back to the place of purchase for a refund or replacement.

Rick

September 20th, 2013 15:00

This did not work!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 20th, 2013 16:00

SierraLogger,

Are you using Dell Series 7 ink cartridges?

Rick

September 20th, 2013 17:00

Yes, on the series 7 and just bought new today.  I have had this printer for about a year, waited until my HP printer took a dump today, so I hooked  it up with windows 8 of which they said was not compatible, but I did it, and it works fine with the exception it will not print in color.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 21st, 2013 21:00

SierraLogger,

Can you copy a color image under the glass?

I suspect you have a bad Dell Series 7 ink cartridge. Take it to the place of purchase for a replacement. The printhead is on the Dell Series 7 ink cartridge, so I suspect it has dried out.

Rick

July 30th, 2017 16:00

Hello,

My dell 968w will not print in color either. I have found this link on the dell website:

www.dell.com/.../how-to-troubleshoot-inkjet-cartridge-issues-on-your-dell-printer

On that page, in step #4, it says to make sure the printer is set to use all available ink. It then says to click on the operating system.

My operating system is windows 7, so I click on that. It then says to click right click on your printer, then click on printer preferences, and then to make sure that use all available ink is selected. It says that this check box is located in the lower right hand corner.     Make Sure the Printer Preferences is Set to Use all Available Ink

Click on the Operating System from the list below that is on the computer.

Click Here if Windows 10 is Installed

Click Here if Windows 8 is Installed

Click Here if Windows 7 is Installed

Click Here if Windows Vista is Installed

Click Here if Windows XP is Installed

Windows 7

Click Start.

Click Devices and Printers.

Right-click your printer.

Select Printer Preferences.

Make sure Print using all available ink is selected (lower right-hand corner).

Click OK .

I cannot find this anywhere. Could you please direct me on how to get to this screen?

Thank you,

Eric

No Events found!