Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2009 11:00

Dell 968 Scanning to PDF produces very large files

Hi all and thanks in advance for your help,

I have a Dell 968 All-in-One and I am having lots of trouble scanning to PDF cause the files produced are very very large (2 pages = 2MB).  I do need to scan a fair amount of documents and that size is impossible to store or email easily as you can imagine.  I installed the updated firmware but still have the same problem.

Could anyone help me find a solution?

Thanks again.

6.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 12:00

You need to check the application you are using to scan the image.  This software normally has adjustments for the "quality" of the image; higher quality (so you can see more detail) means a greater file size.  If you find this adjustment you will need to experiment to find out how low you can make it before the file becomes unacceptably fuzzy.  In my experience I was able to accept the quality of file sizes between 60 KB and 100 KB.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 22:00

mondema,

I usually scan to Open Office, then save it as a pdf. It usually seems smaller this way.

Rick

1 Message

February 13th, 2009 12:00

This is consistent with the problem I've seen: even at 150dpi, pdfs or tiffs produced by the 968 are >2MB per page. However, they can be sharply compressed to about 0.35MB per page by a) for pdfs, running through a different pdf generator (eg, pdf995), or b) for either format, simply zipping them. It seems like the issue must be in the 968 software for generating the files. Are there any preferences hiding on the menu, or a known issue with the firmware?

Admittedly, compressing the files is a working work-around, but forcing scanning to be a two-step process seems needlessly cumbersome.

Thanks.

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 02:00

Thank you everyone for your help.  I now have the printer connected to my computer via an USB cable and the scanning size issue is now resolved.   If I ever need to connect to the printer via wifi I will try the different solutions.

No Events found!