Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 16th, 2009 08:00

Dell 968 all in one printer problem

My printer is giving me a critical cartridge error.  I checked in the user guide and followed the instructions.  I bought a new black cartridge directly from Dell and it's half full.  For some reason, it just started giving me this error.  I did what it said and turned the printer off, opened the cartridge holders and reinserted them.  It comes back to the same problem.  It says check user's guide, but I already did. 
I tried unplugging everything, waiting for a time, then plugging it back in.  I also tried realigning the cartridges from the preferences under control panel, tried cleaning the nozzles, etc.  I did an alignment page, and it worked once, then went back to the critical cartridge error.  It was printing the page with lines on it, so I did the maintenance/clean cartridges and the page looked fine, and the lines didn't show up, but when I did the align cartridge, it started off fine, then stopped half way through and there were blotchy marks on the last half and it spit the paper out.
When I did the alignment from the printer directly under maintenance, it just spit the blank paper out and gave me the critical cartridge problem again.
Since it was working fine for half of the cartridge, what could be the problem?  Should I order a new cartridge?  I ordered it directly from Dell, but don't think I kept the shipping receipt.  The printer is 2  years old
Thanks for your help,
Pam :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 16th, 2009 08:00

pamsca,

Depending on the location if the printer, if it's near a heat vent and the cartridge got dried up, it possible the cartridge will not work. It also could be possible the cartridge got a bad sensor in it. Try this below and let me know what happens.

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 7 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 7 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible that you got a Dell Series 7 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Take it back to the place of purchase for a refund or replacement.

Rick

10 Posts

December 16th, 2009 16:00

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.  I had done everything you suggested, but it still gives me the same error message.  Should I just order a new ink cartridge and send the old one back?  Otherwise, do you know where I can get a list of repair places - I live in Canada.  Thanks :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 16th, 2009 17:00

pamsca,

I would try another Dell Series 7 ink cartridge. If you don't want to wait, try Walmart or Staples,

Rick

10 Posts

December 16th, 2009 20:00

I didn't know that there were different Series 7 cartridges when I ordered it directly from Dell.  This one says PIN CH883 under the Series 7 wording.  I'll check with Walmart or Staples tomorrow.  I didn't know they carried them at those stores, so I will try them.  What Series 7 cartridge should I look for?  thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 17th, 2009 00:00

pamsca,

It's simple. Look for Dell Series 7 cartridges. It has to say Dell Series 7.

Rick

10 Posts

December 17th, 2009 09:00

Thanks, that's what I thought.  I checked with Staples, but they carry every series but 7.  I'll order it online again and see if that fixes the problem.  Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 17th, 2009 14:00

pamsca,

Keep me posted. I'm almost certain that is your problem.

Take care,

Rick

10 Posts

December 17th, 2009 22:00

Hi, I'm a bit confused.  I was on the Dell site and looked up two different ways to order the cartridge.  If I search for 968 all in one printers, I get this page with some cartridges:

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&k=968+all+in+one+cartridges&cat=snp&x=7&y=10

If I search for series 7, I get this page:

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&k=series+7+ink+cartridges&cat=snp&x=5&y=4

and I certainly don't want to order two of each and I don't need a photo cartridge.  Last time I ordered, it was through the search for 968, do you think that could have been the problem and that I should have ordered the series 7 directly?  What would be the difference?  Sorry for so many questions.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 18th, 2009 03:00

pamsca,

And if you're like me, you'll have this way to find them

Dell - Replacement Spare Parts & Upgrades then I click on your printer and get THIS, it also looks like the 966 and 968 printers use the same Dell Series 7 ink cartridges.

Rick

They're all right. Pick the one that's the cheapest! :emotion-5:

10 Posts

December 18th, 2009 08:00

Just realized that link was ordering in USA, so will have to find the same thing for Canada.  :)

10 Posts

December 18th, 2009 08:00

Wonderful, thanks so much. I'll let you know how they work.  thanks

Pam :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 18th, 2009 09:00

pamsca,

Your links should be for Canada. I cannot get there as I always get redirected back to the United States.

If you go to Dell.com's main website for yourself, for home, printers and ink, then in the left column, partts for your dell. Parts for your Electronics and accessories, Dell Printers. Select your printer. Here's what page I got.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&mfgpid=126997

I hope this is in Canada or you'll need to do the instructions yourself.

Happy Holidays and take care,

Rick

10 Posts

December 18th, 2009 10:00

Thank you, I ended up in the USA one, so this works a lot better.  I'll order them today.  This forum is a lot easier than phone calls, I'm sorry to say but I can't understand a lot of the customer representatives.

Happy holidays to you too, I will keep you posted.

:) 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 17:00

Pam,

If this happens, you should take the cartridge back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Happy Holidays and take care,

Rick

10 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 17:00

Hi, I got the cartridges today and installed them and it works great now.  It did a realignment, etc. and the cartridge must have been the problem.  Thank you once again, I got more help from you than when I called Dell directly.
Happy holidays :)

No Events found!