Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2009 10:00

Dell AIO 810 problem

Hi Everyone, i have a Dell AIO 810 running on Vista.  Whilst at work a few weeks ago, my 2 year old started "playing" with the printer.  Since then everytime i switch the printer on, or press the continuously flashing power button on the printer, all that happens is the cartridge shoots from the far right to the far left, makes a loud noise and then shoots back to the far right again.  When i send something to print, i get a 'cartridge stall' message. 

There is nothing blocking the cartridge path, the ink level is ok, i reinstalled the drivers for Vista 32 bit etc.  I have cleaned the device etc and the cartridge is correctly clipped in place.

Is this a lost cause or is it something straightforward to repair?   Would appreciate any insight, thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2009 11:00

makay123,

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer. Wait 60 seconds, then plug the printer back in. This resets any error messages the printer is getting.

Power the printer on. Open up the printer and take out the Black Dell Series 6 ink cartridge. Make sure there is no tape on it and reseat the Dell series 6 ink cartridge. Now do the same for the Colou Dell Series 6 ink cartridge. When you close the printer, it should print an alignment page on its own. Any error messages?

You could try Cleaning the encoder strip (Loud bang from printer carriage) and see if that's the problem.

As for installing the printer, try using the instructions located at...

810 All-In-One-Printer owners thread

Let me know what happens.

Rick

8 Posts

December 30th, 2009 16:00

Thanks Rick.  Unfortuantely no difference.  I powered down and then powered up.  I reseated the cartridge (its 1 cartridge with 3 inks).  I cleaned the encoder strip.  The power button on the printer continues to flash.  And when i press that power button the cartridge shoots from right to left, makes a loud noise and then shoots back to the right again.  When i send something to print i just get a 'cartridge stalled' message.  Could it be a hardware issue for example a loose cable or something similar?  Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 30th, 2009 20:00

makay124,

The printer is an All-In-One. You should be able to make a copy of document with no problems. If the printer cannot do that, then it's something to do with the printer, being a switch where the paper leaves the tray or a switch saying the paper is jammed or the sensor in the ink cartridge. I have seen people try to use non-Dell cartridges. Soe work and some don't I have also seen bad sensors in the Dell ink cartridges.

A carrier stall is when the ink cartridges move across the encoder strip. Make sure it's in the correct position.

Cleaning the encoder strip (Loud bang from printer carriage)

Rick

8 Posts

December 31st, 2009 08:00

Thanks Rick, i was looking for the clear plastic encoder strip (not the white plastic strip connected to the ink cartridge runner) and it wasn't there!  My wife told me it fell out when my daughter was playing and she'd kept it in the drawer! 

So, next challenge - how do i connect the encoder strip back in place?  There doesn't seem to be an obvious place where it goes.  Any directions appreciated.  Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 31st, 2009 11:00

makay123,

This is the closest ninstructions I have for the encoder strip.

Rick

Clean the Encoder Strip

Additional Information
Notice:  
  As you perform the following steps, be careful when handling the encoder strip as it can break easily.  

It is possible that dust can gather on the encoder strip which will make it very difficult for the printer to determine where the carriage is on its track. To clean the encoder strip, perform the following steps:

1. Power down the printer and unplug the power.
  2. Lift the cover on the printer.
  3. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the right-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it toward the right-hand side of the printer (Figure 1).

Figure 1: The Encoder Strip to the right of the cartridge carrier

Note:  
      The encoder strip is a narrow band of clear plastic and can be difficult to see without direct lighting.  
  4. Plug in the printer and power it on.
  5. Open the cover to allow the cartridge carriage to center itself.
  6. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the left-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it towards the left-hand side of the printer. (Figure 2).

Figure 2: The encoder strip to the left of the cartridge carrier

No Events found!