Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2015 13:00

Dell Inkjet A920 All-In-One Printer and Dell Inspiron 15 w/ Win 8.1 OS Compatibility

Greetings,

I have an old Dell Inkjet A920 All-In-One Printer and was wondering if it was compatible at all with the new Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with Win 8.1 OS I have now? I had gotten the printer in a package order with a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop with Win XP several years ago, but recently got the Inspiron 15 after the D2400 got outdated and slowed down to less than a crawl.

Anyways, I have been trying to setup the printer on the laptop, but I cannot seem to get it to work yet. I have a USB cord (though I don't remember if it came with the printer or laptop) that makes them compatible that way. Btw, the original cord from the D2400 had a different plug-in in which there was no port for on the laptop. But, luckily I had the other cord which had a regular USB end that I can use in the laptop. It did all the downloading stuff when I plugged it in, but I couldn't get it to print anything from the laptop. It had an option to print on the A920, but it would never do anything after selecting it and clicking "Print".

I also have the driver cd from the printer as well. However, it said that there was no English language instructions for the Win 8 OS. 

I have also seen on the Dell website that there were no downloads for the A920 past the Vista OS. So, I just wanted to make sure if it will work at all on what I have.

Thanks,

Jeff Brown

2 Posts

January 4th, 2015 11:00

Bump

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 5th, 2015 16:00

Jeff,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 8.1 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 8.1 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell A920 All-In-One Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications. If you did not install any, then Windows Defender is the default. Try reading...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials/Windows Defender

Rick

No Events found!