Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 16th, 2011 09:00

Dell Inspiron laptop cannot see wireless all in one printer to install

Hoping someone can help, I am at my wits end. Trying to install an HP C8180 all in one printer to work wirelessly with my Dell 1440 running Windows 7 64 bit. The router is a Linksys e2000, brand new. The printer network wizard sees the network and connects fine. I get a network configuration page with an IP address similar to the router address, 192.168.1.106. But every time I try to install the printer driver it cannot see the printer on the network. I tried adding directly using the IP address of the printer, no luck. Tried pinging the printer, no luck. Tried adding a new port directly to the IP address, no luck. Even tried connecting the printer to the router with ethernet cable--still doesn't see the printer. Tried loading the driver without installing and then installing using the Add a Printer wizard. Cannot see the printer.

I formerly had this connected via ethernet (never was able to use the wireless) but got a virus and had to wipe my computer and reinstall Windows 7. Now, the only way I can use this printer is with USB, which is awful with a laptop. What trick am I missing? Can anyone please help with this? HP will not give help on a printer out of warrantee.:emotion-9:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 16th, 2011 10:00

tgrover,

Let's work on your network first.

I see that your Linksys E2000 is a dual band router. You need to setup the wireless g mode using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. You may want to make a new SSID, like tgroverG 

For the wireless N network, use tgroverN

The printer needs to connect to the wireless G network.

Disconnect the printer from the computer.

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Windows 7 64-bit drivers for the HP C8180 Printer. Then install the printer and follow the instructions. Have the printer connect to the wireless G network.

Remember virus programs and firewalls will try to block communications.

Rick

5 Posts

June 17th, 2011 13:00

Thanks so much for your help, Rick. I finally swallowed my pride and called HP and paid $20 as I was out of ideas. It turned out that the printer kept giving me slightly "off" IP addresses:  192.168.100.106, so there were two too many digits (100, should have been 1). I had to reset the printer to factory settings after a level 3 uninstall, and try twice again until it finally yielded an appropriate IP address. I then was able to ping the printer from the computer. Only then did I install the driver, and STILL had to enter the printer with the IP address since it was not automatically detected. But, everything is working now. Hope this helps others.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 17th, 2011 16:00

tgrover,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. It's sounds like the HP Printer was the culprit and they should have helped you for free, since it really had issues.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!