Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2009 11:00

Dell Printer 944 error message 1102

I am unable to copy/print/scan.  I have unplugged the power @ the outlet & from the back of printer.  I have also cleaned the contacts & put in new cartridges.  I still am getting the same problem to no avail.  What happens initally is the printer screen shows a "Fatal@line 788in.../dsp/dpitf , then it shuts down & come back on shoots out an empty page & the printer screen reads error 1102.  I tried dell support & spent 1hour & 49 min & they suggested new cartiridges which didn't changed the problem. help!

11 Posts

February 26th, 2009 12:00

20smiley,

Please unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. Now plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has. Now open the printer with the power on and the cartridges should go to the center to be replaced. Take out both Dell Series 5 ink cartridges and make sure the tape is off the cartridges and insert both back in and make sure the seat properly and latch. Close the printer and it should print an alignment page. If you still get the error message, please read bleow.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It is also possible to get a new ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it to the place of purchase for a refund or a replacement one.

Rick

I had already done this, but did try again.  NO SUCCESS.  My cartridges came from Dell & my first one were working fine, also purchased from Dell & had worked well for the last month & then poof this.  I can't imagine both would be bad.  Any other suggestions.  My printer won't scan either...is this related & what other options are there?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2009 12:00

20smiley,

Please unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. Now plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has. Now open the printer with the power on and the cartridges should go to the center to be replaced. Take out both Dell Series 5 ink cartridges and make sure the tape is off the cartridges and insert both back in and make sure the seat properly and latch. Close the printer and it should print an alignment page. If you still get the error message, please read bleow.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It is also possible to get a new ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it to the place of purchase for a refund or a replacement one.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2009 18:00

20smiley,

Let's try re-installing the printer following the special instructions below. This will give you the scan finction back and maybe everything will also work again.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Rin the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. The patch MUST be run on Vista machines.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

11 Posts

February 26th, 2009 19:00

My Java is currently updated, but I haven't run the .net framework.  My system is Windows XP & I wasn't sure if ".net framework" is for XP or for Vista.  I also wasn't sure if I should run the patch since you stated it must be run on Vista & I don't have Vista.  Please advise & thanks for working with me.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2009 21:00

20smiley,

Go to Windows Updates and click on custom. I have all the custom updates and you should see .net framework in Custom ones.

The patch is like a cleanup tool to remove the printer totally from the computer. I recommend using it but since you have XP, just removing the printer from control panel, add/remove programs, will also work.

Basically what I'm saying to do now is, disconnect the printer, run the patch(if you want) or un-install the printer, then restart your computer.

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer.

Rick

11 Posts

February 26th, 2009 22:00

I did all the above & I continue to get the same message:

Fatal at line 788in.../dsp/dpitf.c

SH860251/export/home (there is more, but then the printer appears to shut off then on & spits out a piece of paper.  The "error 1102" doesn't show up after this though)

Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 27th, 2009 02:00

20smiley,

Let me ask, can you copy anything with the printer by using the scanner glass? Does it look ok.

Rick

11 Posts

February 27th, 2009 05:00

I am unable to copy.  The scanner doesn't move up & down now, but did prior when it gave the Error1102.  Now it just does nothing, but gives the Fatal @ line.  The only thing that has changed is that the scanner bar isn't moving anymore nor am I receiving the error message at the end.

11 Posts

March 3rd, 2009 05:00

What do you reccomend I do now?  I haven't heard back from you regarding my last post.  Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2009 11:00

20smiley,

If the scanner bulb doesn't move, then it can be caused by 2 things.

First, can you copy using the ADF? If so, then the bulb and scanner are working. If not, then something happened to the scanner.

Second is it's possible that the scanner is jammed. I don't know much about un-jamming stuck scanner bulbs.

Rick

11 Posts

March 3rd, 2009 13:00

What is the ADF & how do I make a copy using it?  Note:  I did try another (3rd cartridge) & it didn't work either.  If I put the original cartridge back in I got the Error 1102 along with the fatal line error.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2009 16:00

20smiley,

I'm sorry but I found out your printer doesn't have an Automatic Document Feeder, but I did find this information.

I found another post with error 1102 and the 944 printer.

It keeps giving me an error (cartridge errror 1102). It says the cartridge is unsupported. I took off all the tape and installed it correctly the first time. I was able to print 2 photos just fine then all of a sudden it gave me that error message. What do i do?

Your error message is coming from the Dell Series 5 ink Cartridge. To reset the error message, unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer. Wait 60 seconds and then plug everything back in. This usually resets any error messages on the printer. Make sure the Dell Series 5 ink cartridges are intalled correctly by removing them and re-seating them .

Black in left or black side, color in right side or color side

if using a photo cartridge...

Photo cartridge in the black side(left) and color in the color side(right)

Rick

11 Posts

March 3rd, 2009 18:00

I tried this prior to contacting you plus I have done this several times since.   I am at a loss.  Any other suggestions.

11 Posts

March 8th, 2009 23:00

Neither of these solutions worked for me.  I haven't received the error 1102 with the new cartridges, but continue to receive the Fatal @ line message which also occurred with the original issue of "Error 1102".  Looks like I'm in the market for a new printer...unfortunatly  it won't be a Dell.  I've had an HP for eons & it still works, just doesn't copy, scan. etc...I'm so frustrated:emotion-12:

Thanks for tring

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 8th, 2009 23:00

20smiley,

Last resort is I found this from Lexmark and they made the printer.

http://images.lexmark.com/publications/pdfs/2007/3500/mhs/en/d0e10224.html

The encoder strip is the only thing we didn't try, instructions below.

Rick

Clean the Encoder Strip

Additional Information
Notice:  
  As you perform the following steps, be careful when handling the encoder strip as it can break easily.  

It is possible that dust can gather on the encoder strip which will make it very difficult for the printer to determine where the carriage is on its track. To clean the encoder strip, perform the following steps:

1. Power down the printer and unplug the power.
  2. Lift the cover on the printer.
  3. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the right-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it toward the right-hand side of the printer (Figure 1).

Figure 1: The Encoder Strip to the right of the cartridge carrier

Note:  
      The encoder strip is a narrow band of clear plastic and can be difficult to see without direct lighting.  
  4. Plug in the printer and power it on.
  5. Open the cover to allow the cartridge carriage to center itself.
  6. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the left-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it towards the left-hand side of the printer. (Figure 2).

Figure 2: The encoder strip to the left of the cartridge carrier

No Events found!