Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2010 08:00

Dell V305w scan to PDF format ABBYY

I tried scanning in a handwritten document the other day using the Dell Imaging Toolbox software that came with my V305w printer. I scanned in all 6 pages of the document and all are the right way round when I scan them in. However, when I click on Convert To PDF and click Save All Images As One PDF, a progress bar appears saying the document is being processed by ABBYY Finereader Sprint and when it's finished my pages are in order but some are upside down and sideways.

I have tried rotating the documents and scanning again but the orientation of them once converted remains somewhat random. The only thing I can think is that maybe ABBYY has some sort of built in auto rotate function that is being a bit over enthusiastic but if so I can't figure out how to turn it off.

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Mauick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 5th, 2010 10:00

Mauick,

Since you were going to save it as a pdf, why not scan all the documents to a pdf and they will look like the origionals that you have. No need to run them past the Abbyy FineReader Software.

I tried to scan a document to Open Office, but the document didn't look the same, so I had to scan the document to the pdf right away.

Rick

5 Posts

June 6th, 2010 07:00

I would but the only way I can do that is to select the scan to Adobe function on the printer which, as far as I'm aware, can only scan in one pdf at a time? As in I wouldn't be able to have the 6 page PDF file I intended, I'd get 6 seperate ones instead. Is there a way to ask it to scan multiple files to PDF just from the printer itself then? Or to combine them at the end?

Thanks for your response

Mauick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 6th, 2010 15:00

Mauick,

Try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

You should be able to use the Dell All-In-One Center to update the list of applications. If scanning wirelessly, then scan from the printer to your computer. It should be able to scan multiple pages.

Rick

5 Posts

June 6th, 2010 16:00

Adobe is already in my list of applications but my problem is still with making it scan multiple documents to the same PDF. When i select scan to Adobe on my printer there is no option for multiple documents and the image just appears on my computer after scanning as a one page PDF file. If there were a way to ask the printer to hold the scan and wait until all 6 pages were scanned before making the PDF that would be ideal. Else a way of combining several 1 page PDF's would also solve the problem.

Sorry about this! Your help is much appreciated :)

Mauick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 6th, 2010 18:00

Mauick,

Are you scanning using the Automatic Document Feeder?

Rick

5 Posts

June 7th, 2010 03:00

No, I don't think my printer has one. I'm pretty sure I have to put my documents on the glas too scan them. Does that make it impossible to scan multiple pages then?

Mauick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 7th, 2010 09:00

Mauick,

Sorry, I see this model does not have the ADF. Try looking at  THIS ARTICLE  from the Dell™ V305 Printer User's Guide. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Rick

5 Posts

June 7th, 2010 10:00

Thanks Rick, unfortunately this brings me back to my original problem of being able to scan multiple documents into the computer but then when I convert them to PDF they randomly rotate and flip.

Essentially if I scan direct to Adobe to get a PDF I can only create a one page PDF at a time and if I scan multiple items into my computer and convert to PDF they become randomly oriented :s

I'm pretty stuck!

Mauick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 7th, 2010 10:00

Mauick,

I have Open Office. I can scan for my Dell V715w Printer to a Open Office Writer(same as Microsoft Word) Document. After I'm finished scanning all the pages, I then can export the document as a pdf.

Sometimes the scanning to a word document or similar, things look different. If everything it typed, you should not have any problems. Hand-writing seems to come out different when scanning to Word.

It is possible to scan the document as an image, then paste the image to Word and then export the pages as a pdf, if you have Open Office. I don;t think Microsoft Word has this feature. 

My opinion would be to scan the pages as images. Inserts the images to an Open Office Document. They can be resized to fit the document page. Then export the document as a pdf.

Rick

No Events found!