Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2011 06:00

Dell V510 Series printer lost ability to connect via WiFi (blinking orange light problem)

Hello,

Last August I bought a Dell V510 Series printer.

I set it up to work via WiFi and it has worked well (other than the occasional laptop losing its connection to the printer as outlined in other posts in this forum).

Yesterday the Wifi light on the front of the printer started blinking Orange.

And the computers in my home network started posting dialogs that say:

Dell V510 Series (Network) - Direct Network Attached
Communication Not Available
The printer cannot communicate with the computer.

I have added no new devices to my network, nor have I altered the network settings in any way.

Ac. to the manuals:

Blinking orange means one of the following:
– The printer is out of the range of the wireless access point (wireless router).
– The printer is trying to communicate with the wireless access point, but the wireless access point is turned
off or not working properly.
– Either the configured printer or the wireless access point has been turned off and back on, and the printer is
trying to establish communications with the network.
– The wireless settings of the printer may no longer be valid.

So I have resorted to connecting via USB in order to be able to print.

But prefer the wireless connection.

Thoughts?

-RD

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 11th, 2011 06:00

rdefuria,

During electrical storms and power flickers, sometimes wireless devices need power cycled.

Power off your ISP modem/router. Power off your wireless router(if any) Wait 30 seconds, then turn on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any)

Power off the wireless printer. Wait 30 seconds, then power the printer back on.

Restart your computer(s).

Communications should be back to normal. I recommend changing to channel 1, 6 or 11. I use channel 11.

Rick

9 Posts

May 12th, 2011 05:00

Sadly, that did not do it the trick.

Is there an app I can run to recheck and possibly reset the network settings of the unit?  Can't seem to find that in the installed programs.

The front panel UI is terrible.

-Richard

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 12th, 2011 16:00

Richard,

I usually set up my router first. I use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.

You the have to setup the printer. Once the printer recognizes your network, then installing the printer on the computer(s) is next.  

Dell V505 & V505w All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

Dell V515w Wireless All In One Printer - (RED) owners thread

Virus programs and firewalls usually block communications.

Rick

2 Posts

August 5th, 2011 19:00

Hi I have a  new  network and need to connect my dell v510 wireless all in one printer to it and I can not find the disc to reinstall  is this anyway I can connect  it to my new network ?

thanks

WetCat

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 5th, 2011 22:00

WetCat,

Do you have the Dell V505, V505w or the Dell V515w printer? Dell has the drivers on their website, the only thing missing is the OCR Program needed for scanning documents.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 6th, 2011 15:00

WetCat,

See if the service tag number is on the back of the printer. If so, then go to Drivers & Downloads in the left column, near the bottom, click on warranty status. Enter the service tag number. It should then tell you which printer you have.

Run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Go to start, control panel, programs and features(add/remove programs) and look for the Dell Printer, then click uninstall.

Restart your computer.

Drivers can be found at...

Dell V515w Wireless All In One Printer - (RED) owners thread Most likely this printer

or

Dell V505 & V505w All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

Virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

2 Posts

August 6th, 2011 15:00

mine just says v510 on it and I thought I could just go click somewhere can ask it to connect to the internet and  be able to enter the  new password but I can seem to find it on my computer that has the printer download on it

3 Posts

July 28th, 2012 17:00

My V510 seems to be unable to stay connected to no wireless network. No lightning, no power surges, it just seems to disconnect for no reason after a day-- maybe when my Dell XPS 8300 sleeps?  My computer never disconnects from the network .

The wireless light on it goes dark. I print something, open the print queue and it says (offline) and my document is pending.  Powering off/on seldom works. Unplugging it seems to work. I this just normal life with a V510?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 29th, 2012 11:00

fuelrod,

Make and model of your wireless router? What type of security are you using? What channel?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Doe sthis model have a WiFi Light?

Rick

3 Posts

July 30th, 2012 11:00

2 Wire Model 2701HG-B  (ATT)  No security except wireless network key. Don't know about channels.

AVG free antivirus 2012 ans Windows Firewall

The router does not have a WiFi light.  My Dell XPS 8300 always stays connected via WiFi. The printer is located about 4 feet from the router.

The Dell V510W Wifi light is dark right now and the printer is powered off (not by me). I used it yesterday, after unplugging the power cord it and plugging it back in, then pressing Power to get it connected.

The manual describes: "The Power Saver feature puts the printer in a minimum-power standby

mode after the printer has been idle for a set amount of time (the Power Saver timeout)."

Manual at: 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Mine is set to go into strandby after 10 minutes.  I could find no manual reference to auto power off.

My printer is under next day parts warranty for ~3 more months.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 30th, 2012 11:00

fuelrod,

Try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

With no security and just a password, you should not have any poroblems with a connection. There was a model that when the printer was sleeping, it would not print.

Try reading...

Allow a printer past McAfee

I use these tweaks on all my computers...

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

3 Posts

July 31st, 2012 13:00

Don't know what USB hubs have to do with WiFi, but I unchecked  allow computer to turn off this device to save power,

and it now it's been working perfectly for a day.

The WiFi light on the printer goes dark when it goes into standby, but the print queue reports the printer being online, and when a print job is submitted it wakes up prints, then goes standby again after a few minutes.

And thanks for the tip about Delete Print Jobs. While it was not my problem, I didn't know about C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS.  I bookmarked the page.

And I bookmarked this forum too, Who knows, I might even try answering a question some time.

Thank you for resolving this annoying problem.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 31st, 2012 14:00

fuelrod,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Soem people lose communications with the usb attached devices, even printers that are usb cable connected. I do those tweaks so the computer doesn't shutdown the usb ports.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

August 31st, 2012 08:00

I have a Dell V515 printer WIFI has worked fine for just over a yr. Today, WIFI stopped working on the printer. can't connect to my Tower or my laptop. 

My wireless connection is working ok, as my laptop can connect to the internet.

I now have a solid orange light, where before I had a green light - and zero connection strength.  I haven't changed anything!  And we did not have any power surges or recent storms.

Appreciate any help you can offer.  Thank you.  (of course, it is now out of warranty by @ 1 month!)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 1st, 2012 14:00

patience10,

Make and model of your wireless router and te type of security you're using. What channel?

Rick

No Events found!