Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2009 18:00

Drivers for Inkjet 720 and Windows 7?

Are there any available for 64-bit Windows 7? I can't print and I'm not sure if this is the problem. The only drivers I could find online were for Windows 2000/Vista/XP, and 32-bit at that.

Thanks,

John

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 16th, 2009 19:00

John,

If you follow the procedure below, then try the Vista 64-bit drivers in the compatibility mode.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista computers, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

November 20th, 2009 20:00

John,

I used the Vista SP2 mode.

Rick

39 Posts

November 20th, 2009 20:00

For compatibility, do I select Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 26th, 2009 10:00

smorales,

You need to disconnect the printer. Run the patch it may or may not work. Also remove all leftover drivers using...

Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

The try installing the Vista drivers using the Vista SP2 compatibility mode.

Rick

5 Posts

November 26th, 2009 10:00

Hi,

I tried using the method described above to run my dell printer 720 in compatability mode. It seems to have worked, and my printer prints out a test page, but after that has difficult printing everything else out.  In fact, my computer reads two printer devices (720 and 720(1)) even though there's only one printer connected.  Basically if I want to print something different out, I need to restart my entire computer.  Does anyone have advice?  Thank you.

5 Posts

November 26th, 2009 11:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response.  I had tried running the dell xp patch that you posted earlier and it took a really long time for the computer to reboot.  It said "please wait" and I had waited for a long time before deciding to restart the computer myself.  Only then did the patch thing say that my computer could be rebooted.  When I restarted the computer, my dell dock was gone, so I assumed that it had worked.  Also, I clicked on the link you gave me for "manual printer driver removal", but i believe the settings are different on windows 7 because I don't have those same options.  the closest thing I get to printers and faxes when I click on control panel is "hardware and sound".  Do you know if the settings are different on Windows 7? Thanks again for your help.

Socorro

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 26th, 2009 19:00

smorales,

Try Hardwarea and Sound,  printers. I use Classic View and can see everything much better. Let me boot my Windows 7 computer but I think this is really what you're seeing.

Dell Dock

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 26th, 2009 19:00

smorales,

Yes, it's under Hardware and Sound. The top one, click on your printer, if there and remove device.

Rick

5 Posts

November 28th, 2009 11:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for all the responses.  I was finally able to completely remove the printer software from my computer, and then re-install it.  It works great now.  Thanks so much!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 11:00

smorales,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Take care,

Rick

39 Posts

February 9th, 2010 21:00

Thanks Rick. It worked fine after I removed the printer from Hardware and Sound and then installed the link you provided in Vista compatibility mode!

John

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 10th, 2010 02:00

John,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

March 9th, 2010 20:00

Hi -  I wanted to use my 720 printer on a windows 7 computer. After 8 hours of downloading, deleting, restarting etc, I finally found your post - and it worked!!!   Many thanks!  Sheryl

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2010 02:00

Sheryl,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

June 1st, 2010 22:00

Rick - I had been struggling w/ getting my Dell 720 to print with my upgraded Windows 7 laptop until I found your post.

Worked like a CHAMP!

Even the Dell site states that the 720 Inkjet is not compatible with Windows 7... so more kudos to you!

Thanks a million!

Richard

No Events found!