markoBanker
1 Copper

Re: Fax icon not in my "Printers & Faxes" in control panel

Jump to solution

Rick,

Dell support used factory image to re-instate the PC.I went on Dell support to update necessary drivers.I de-installed using Glary utility, ran reg cleaner, went in reg to delete all Lexmark entries left behind.Deleted all Lexmark files & folders left behind, ran MSCONFIG to stop other programs to run or start up, closed McAfee firewall, re-installed using CD and let it update the software(it found (5) files to download and it installed wirellesly no problem except for the Fax icon still not being in "Printers & Faxes".Printer prints fine.

In Device manager, I still see the only red X unger imaging device(my old HP 7780 is listed there as on the network)as its set up on my son's PC using the wireless Network also.Could it be that not all HP is gone from this system or perhaps too much was deleted from HP's uninstall that I did prior to trying installing this Lexmark 905. Lexmark support people only told me that since the Fax works from the printer console, they feel they don't have to help me with this issue and tells me it's a PC issue and thanked me for calling !

markobanker

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

markeBanker,

Do you have the printer disk? You could try this as My Dell is a Lexmark Printer so things might be similar.

As for faxing, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the Fax Folder. In the Fax Folder, right click on setup.exe and left click run as administrator. This will install the Fax program.

You sould try using BVRP PhoneTools for Faxing but I don't know about a fax icon.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
markoBanker
1 Copper

Jump to solution

On the Lexmark CD, there is no executable file in the Fax folder.I tried setting up using a new account in Windows and same thing, nofax icon in "Printers & Faxes" so I think that too many reg keys were deleted from HP. I read somewhere that some HP reg keys are in use even if you don't have an HP printer.

I was forced to re-image to its original purchased date and I had made some back-up of my stuff so I didn't lose anything but had to re-install all my programs and re-install Dell updated drivers from Dell support site.I also updated Windows and then set up my darn printer and bingo everything worked out first crack. I tried everything else for 3 weeks!      Thanks for your support

markobanker

7- Thorium

Jump to solution

markeBanker,

It's a shame it had to come to that. Glad you got it working! emoticon.Yes.title Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos