Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2006 16:00

General 720 Printer Complaint

After receiving several of these printers with the computers we purchase at my office, I am extremely disappointed that Dell would put their name on these things.  I took one home to try it out, and with hopes that someone from Dell will read this, I've listed my grievances:
  • Little support for running the printer on a print server (such as a wireless print server from Linksys, Netgear, etc.).  The printer driver immediately complains that the brand new trial cartridges are out of ink, the test page that the thing prints is cut off, and the install routine won't even give you the option to specify the location - it assumes a USB connection.  Also, you can't align the page through a networked connection.
  • Immediate and unpreventable installation of some photo software.  I really don't want any extraneous software on my machine.  The software (JASC Paint Shop Pro, I think)doesn't interest me at all - it could be good software, but I know Photoshop extremely well, and plenty well enough to not want to change to another graphics/photo package.  In fact, the install routine forced it on my computer after manually installing the driver (which is really irritating; I was hoping to circumvent that, since this is the second time I've installed the driver on a computer).
  • The ink descriptions on the web site don't include the volume of ink; this is one of the more important items when determining whether or not I would purchase a large cartridge or not.
  • The ink cartridges are really expensive compared to the "generic" cartridges available at CompUSA (and probably elsewhere).  We're talking $56 vs $36, not even the normal $29 to $23-$25 difference that you get with Hewlett Crapper cartridges vs. "generic" cartridges.

These are my thoughts after the initial 5 minutes of using.  It's really shameful that Dell would put their name on these, but I guess I shouldn't expect much when we received them for free, and our sales rep wouldn't even remove them from the order.  However, this printer has made up my mind as to the next printer I am going to purchase...or, well, not purchase- I will not purchase a Dell printer (and at this point, you can't even give me one).  That being said, I hope for Dell's sake that their other printers aren't as bad.

/Andrew

1.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2006 04:00

One reason for your problems with the 720 is that it is a give away free printer. It is not made to work with a wireless network. Like most brands trial ink carts, they will only print a few pages. The reason it assumes a USB connection is that it is made to work only with a USB connection.

The Dell ink carts average $26.50 ($19.95 to $32.95). Today I priced similar ink carts at Target discount store, average price $26.50 ($19.95 to $32.95)

I have had my Dell printer for over one year and have printed over 25,000 pages including many hundreds of 8x10 color photos, all without a single problem, but one reason for that is the fact that I have never expected or required it to do things which Dell specifically says it is not made to do.

Not bad for a free printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 16th, 2011 16:00

Geminikid,

This is a Dell User's Forum. I am a Dell User, just like you. If you want try Contact Dell

Depending on your Dell 720 Printer issue, I may be able to help you.

Make and model of your computer and operating system, please. 32-bit or 64-bit? If Windows 7, did you install/upgrade or did Windows 7 come with your computer?

Printer connected with USB Cable, correct?

What virus protection and firewall are you using?

Rick

1 Message

May 16th, 2011 16:00

Actually for something that has DELL's name on it even if its free they should show that they have quality reliable printers not printers that will fail after a couple pages:emotion-42:. It's called good advertizing. Any ways just shows that Dell isn't always about the customer, or wait... were they ever?

No Events found!