Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2013 09:00

HP Officejet 7410

Been trying to solve the following problem through the HP Support Forum with no answers.  Hoping someone here can assist.  The following is what I posted there:

Installed a new hard drive in my Dell Studio XPS (Windows 7 Pro) 5 weeks ago and was able to successfully download and install the Officejet 7410 driver.  Printer, copy, scan, and fax all worked properly. About 3-days ago, a pop up window informed me of an update to the Driver software was available.  Through HP Center uploaded the update.  Afterwards, only the scan worked.  I uninstalled the driver and update yesterday, after trying various ways to reengage the other performance options.  After restarting the computer, I installed the driver again from the HP site.

After the download, I click on the download to install the driver.  It begins and completes the extraction, but never does anything after that point.

I called HP Support today only to be told the printer is obsolete.  I knew that 5 weeks ago and everything worked perfectly.

Windows is fully up-dated.

Anyone have an idea how I can reload the software through the download already on my machine?

Thanks for your help!

19 Posts

January 30th, 2014 13:00

Thanks for the reply.

Windows is genuine and there are no viruses.  Have turned off the firewall and that does not help.

Honestly think  it is HP sabotaging the driver so they can sell more printers.

January 30th, 2014 13:00

Hi,

I understand you question but my friend if your windows not genuine then this types of problem create. But may be if you windows genuine then may be your laptop virus infected or firewall not disable. then installation time problem create so clean the virus and firewall stop position.

I hope solved your problem.

Thanks.. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 30th, 2014 16:00

OrcaFL,

I think this is what you're looking for...

In a recent batch of Windows Updates, Microsoft installed Internet Explorer 11. IE11 had been causing printer problems.

Open Internet Explorer, click on Help, then click on About Internet Explorer. It should show the version there. If you have IE11, then go to control panel, Windows Update, Installed Updates, look for Internet Explorer 11. Click on Internet Explorer 11, uninstall.

Restart the computer, when prompted. Then see if your printer works.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 30th, 2014 17:00

OrcaFL,

I would first run Delete Print Jobs to remove stuck print job(s) from the queue, then restart your computer. A stuck print job in the queue can cause many problems, even with an uninstall and reinstall.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Start, control panel, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

This gives you a clean start with everything from the previous printer removed.

Then download the drivers from HP's website. Install the drivers first, it will prompt you to connect the printer(powered on)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

I suspect your problem was with Internet Explorer 11, causing the printing problems, then with uninstalling and reinstalling with the stuck print job(s) in the queue, it seems like nothing with the printer worked.

Rick

19 Posts

January 30th, 2014 17:00

Rick:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Tried everything you describe and same result.  Driver extracts but refuses to load.  Do you think there is another windows update preventing the driver from executing?

19 Posts

January 31st, 2014 15:00

Rick:

Thanks for the suggestions!  Tried them all and did not work.

Also uninstalled 176 Windows updates, thinking what HP had said was the cause could be the cause.  That did not work either.  Have re-installed all updates.

After the driver extracts, the machine kicks into gear, with cooling fan going full tilt.  Within Task Manager applications tab, "download" listed but obviously not installing.  Very frustrating.

Any other suggestions are certainly welcome and appreciated!

John

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 31st, 2014 18:00

John,

Do you have Internet Explorer 11 installed?

Did you try these drivers? You may have to do the procedure above to remove the printer, one more time. Make sure to install the drivers before connecting the printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=391194

Rick

19 Posts

February 1st, 2014 05:00

Non one willing to answer there.  have had a post there since November and re submitted it three weeks ago.  Only person who responded was someone who was representing them self to be with HP stating it was an obsolete unit and I should buy a new one.  That answer is totally unsatisfactory to me because the printer is working properly with all the other machines and mobile devices in the house, accept my work laptop, which is the one machine that needs/uses it the most.

Do you know of any other forums that are more active with tech savvy individuals who may be able to work around this, other than Microsoft who wants to charge me $100 and tell me the same thing as HP?

19 Posts

Rick:

IE is 9

The driver within the link provided is the driver I am trying to install.

Used the driver detector option.  It recognized the printer and said there was an error with the driver and it needed to download the full version of the driver.  Did so, which is the diver I have been trying to install, and achieved the same result.

Without totally restoring my computer, I think this is HP's way of  me.

Thanks for your suggestions!

John

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

John,

Did you try HP Support Forums?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 1st, 2014 06:00

OrcaFL,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system on the computer?

There are known issues, maybe you have one of these.

Dell Studio™ 1536 Is Unable to Print Documents (AMD USB Audio Driver Filter) and uninstall NVIDIA's Network Access Manager

Try the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-47754-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2100&product=391194&sw_lang=

Rick

19 Posts

February 2nd, 2014 10:00

Rick:

Great post that almost worked!

Was able to get the Windows 7 driver loaded and semi-operational.  There was a communication error that would not allow scanning, but did allow printing.  Tried to fix it through the means the program offered but ultimately made the program fail completely.

Loaded the VISTA version using compatibility mode and loaded completely but again would not scan.  Tried fixing it through their bug fix patch and kept getting a run time error stating the file could not be found.

Have now reloaded the Windows 7 version and it will not install due to a run time error preventing the install in "an usual way"  Windows completely updated.  Left IE at version 9.

Feel so close to having this complete, just need to figure out run time error.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

John

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2014 12:00

John,

Go to...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2100&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=391194#N189

There are more files to download and install. Select Vista 64-bit, and press the next button next to your selection from the drop-down menu. Those drivers are needed for scanning. Remember to install everything in the Vista Compatibility mode

Make sure that Enable Bidirectional Support/Enable Biodirectional Support is checked.

Virus program and firewall will try to block communications.

Rick

19 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 10:00

Hi Rick:

Did everything as described. VISTA compatible is installed.  Will print and make copies.   Will not fax or scan.  Still a communication error.  Shut off firewalls and still same thing.

Would really like to be able to install Windows 7 version.  What would be the cause of the computer not allowing the file to be found to do so, as per my last post?

Thanks,

John

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2014 14:00

John,

Make a system restore point before you try it, that way if it doesn't work, you can come back to what you have.

Rick

No Events found!