Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2013 06:00

Missing Cartridge

I have a V313w all in one printer. I just changed the black ink cartage and get a “Black cartridge is missing” error message. I have changed these many times before with no problem, when I put the old cartridge back in the error message goes away. Any idea what to do? Could it be a bad cartage, it is a Dell and the third I’ve used from the same order.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 21st, 2013 15:00

kgberman,

Are you using Dell Series 21, 22 ink cartridge(s)?

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 21, 22 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 21, 22 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 21, 22 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 21. 22 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 21, 22 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would take these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

14 Posts

December 6th, 2013 08:00

The problem was a bad cartage but now I can’t get my Dell 313w to print or copy in color, black prints and copies fine. I replaced the color cartage and the computer shows it full, but that did not help. The software and Firmware have been updated and I unplugged the printer to reset it. I had it set for “Print using black only” until I got the new color cartage but when I change the setting to “Print using all available ink” the color would not work”. Any Ideas what to do next?

kgberman

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2013 04:00

kgberman,

Check the settings on the printer to make sure you can copy in color.

Start, control panel, devices and printers, click on your printer, printer preferences. Make sure it set to use all available ink, click on advanced, more options and make sure the setting look correct there.

Also try reading...

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

Scan or Copy Problems on the Dell V313, V313w, V515w, V715w or P513w All-in-One Inkjet Printer

The Printer Does Not Recognize the Ink Cartridge or Only Prints in One Color

Rick

14 Posts

December 8th, 2013 08:00

Rick,

I have tried every thing I can think of, but still no color. When I print with "use color ink only" I get a blank page. I have reinstalled the printer, cleaned the print head, updated the firmware, installed new cartages and used a lot of not so nice language. I have tried to print from an other computer with the same results.

Lou

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2013 13:00

Lou,

Can you copy a document under the glass? Black and white and color?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2013 14:00

Lou,

So you cannot copy a color document. I would unplug the printer from the wall. Then remove the power brick for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages the printer is getting.

I would then try reseating the color cartridge. When you put the color cartridge back in, the printer should try printing an alignment page. Color on that page? If not, then if the cartridge is new, take to place of purchase for a replacement. It sounds like the color cartridge may have failed.

Rick

14 Posts

Rick,

I have done everything you have suggested with no results. The printer just copies in gray scale and prints with no color at all. This is the second cartage I've installed, at $30 a pop it will be cheaper to buy a new printer. I have had a lot of problems with the Dell V313W  I guess the next one will be something else.

Thanks for all your help.

Lou

14 Posts

Rick,

Black and white works, but no color.

Lou

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2013 19:00

Lou,

If the printer does not work as a copying machine, then the problem is with the cartridge or the printhead. If these were new DELL Series cartridges, take them to the place of purchase for replacement.

Rick

No Events found!