Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 09:00

P703w - Card Reader and Scan Issues

I just received my second P703w printer under warrantee replacement. On the first printer the card reader would not function. The internal card reader worked initially but now has just stopped functioning, just as the first printer did. Additionally, the scan menus that provide the program choices to scan return to default (scan to memory card) after a day or so. To get them back I need to power down the whole network and then reinstall the printer software. I’m running Vista 64 on a new XPS 425. I also have the new Linksys N wireless router (the one with the DNS issues – already moved the firmware back to version 8).

Has anyone seen this issue with their P703w? Is there documentation somewhere on how the printer menus are populated from the computer?

BTW – I have spent about 20 hours with Dell support prior to getting the new printer. Not really interested in going back unless I have to.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2009 13:00

Marias_Dad,

Sorry to hear about the problems you were having. I would try using the information in your Older Thread and then you can reply to either on if your having any problems. Since you were having problems with the firmware, I woul NOT touch this but I still recommend that you use the rest of the Recommended Wireless Router Settings in order to get everything working.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

6 Posts

April 8th, 2009 15:00

Hi Rick,

The wireless/router is set up with the setting you gave on my old post. Many of the issues I had went away with two changes. First, taking the router back from firmware 11 to firmware 8 eliminated strange DNS issues. Second, Dell revised thier P703w software and removed the Abobe. Apparently Adobe does not play well with Vista 64.

My network is still acting odd, so it may be contributing to the printer issues.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2009 15:00

Marias_Dad,

I use channel 11 in my wireless router settings. Also Vista has an issue with Broadcast Flags causing connection problem.

A tweak for your wireless card is...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

6 Posts

April 8th, 2009 20:00

Rick,

I should have mentioned this before - the Vista machine is a wired connection. The printer has the wireless. I did change to channel 11 on my router.

I tried a scan tonight and while it did have a Scan to option (The Studio XPS) it lost all the Scan Destinations (only file).

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 9th, 2009 02:00

Marias_Dad,

You should be able to use the Dell All-In-One Center to scan with. If you lose all scan destinations, then you're losing communications with the printer. Try this.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

What happens now? I prefer scanning to IrfanView(a program I added and Open Office, like Microsoft Office but FREE.

Rick

6 Posts

April 20th, 2009 11:00

Hi Rick,

sorry it took so long to post back. I came up with a solution for the issues but its not what I wanted. Basicly, I just dumped the wireless connection and went with a USB. There is the occational issue with the tool box locking up but in general everything (including the card reader) works. Its really a shame because the printer was advertised as "wireless", but only half the functions work in that mode.

To make it worse, the 64 bit Vista always seem to be lacking support from other vendors (Adobe, Sony,etc).

Thanks again for your help.

-Mark

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 20th, 2009 13:00

Mark,

I would have figured that the printer would work using the Recommended Wireless Router Settings I gavce you. I haven't had a wireless device on my network that didn't connect, yet. I use channel 11. You can try this Free OCR Software that works with Vista 64-bit systems. I was happy when I got my new Studio 1737 and it was 32-bit.

I don't have 64-bit but is it possible to run toolbox in the 32-bit compabality mode?

Rick

No Events found!