Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 5th, 2012 05:00

Photo 964 AIO Printer

Hello,

My Photo 964 AIO Printer is scanning but not printing.

The error message is "The local print spooler service is not running"

I have gone into:

Help & Support - Printer problem - Why I can't print:

-I have checked for updates - my computer is up to date

-Then: Administrative Tools/ Services/ Print Spooler/ Properties/ General Tab/ Startup Type/ Automatic

-Under Servive Status: I clicked Start / Apply then OK and it is still NOT printing, after I have unplug everything replugged, restarted!!

I need HELP please!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 9th, 2012 03:00

Elijah,

Alice's computer information is in the same thread on things we tried to install the printer, located HERE.

The printer is having some type of issues, since I can confirm that the printer does work with Windows 7, I used to own the Dell 964 Printer.

I suspect if the usb port issue is corrected, the printer should install with no problems, except allowing the printer past the virus program and firewall.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 9th, 2012 14:00

Alice,

Gald you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

I am going to merge this thread with the printer thread, so it can be found all in one place.

Take care,

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 5th, 2012 09:00

Alice111,

Make and model of your computer and operting system is helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit? If Windows 7, did the computer come with Windows 7 or was it upgraded?

Dell 964 Printer is connected with usb cable?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

21 Posts

April 5th, 2012 15:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this issue; it is greatly appreciated and you seem to have helped quite a few people!

Computer make: DELL

Model: DXP051

I think my PC is 64-bit but not 100% sure, as cannot find the info

Windows XP was installed initially and upgraded to Windows7 in 2009

DELL 964 AIO Printer is connected with a USB cable

Virus programme used is Microsoft Security Essential

Windows Firewall with Advanced Security

I have made progress today; DELL 964 AIO Printer now does appear in Devices an  Printer and is set as Default.

The print spooler service seems to have been fixed. Don't ask me how, I have no clue!

When trying to print a test page, the document appear briefly to dissappear 30 second later without printing. There seem to be a communication problem between the printer and the PC??

For example is Dell Photo AIO Printer 964 Properties, the location window is empty.

Not sure is the selected Port is correct either: USB001 Virtual printer port for... Dell Photo AIO Printer 964

Alice..

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 6th, 2012 02:00

Alice,

I was going to ask, when you upgraded the operating system, did you install the drivers in the correct order. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista
Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 964 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

21 Posts

April 6th, 2012 07:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your continuous help; I am not computer literate, so prefer to double check things with you if you don’t mind, so I don’t make a wrong operation that could cause more problems.

1/Windows7 Professional was installed for me in 2009 by a friend; it did not run well, so I had Microsoft re-install it for me. So I assume that the drivers were installed in the correct order, as my Printer AIO has been functioning very well until this week!

2/This link has an error message: Download and run this patch (***WARNING*** The patch for this printer also removes other Dell applications, like Dell Dock, Dell QuickSet and other Dell applications)

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&DriverId=R166225

3/Do I have to remove the printer manually? or will the previous procedure remove it and all I need to do is check that it has been removed by following the steps in: Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

4/My Windows7 System Type is 32-Bit Operation System; Should I download Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows7?

If yes, what should I select?

-Windows Vista (Service Pack 1) or

-Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)

Alice

April 7th, 2012 01:00

Alice,

Run delete print jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Start, control panel, programs and features, Dell 964 Printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the prnter was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

The try installing the Vista 32-bit drivers in the Vista SP2 compatibility mode.

Rick

21 Posts

April 7th, 2012 03:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks again!

I have followed all the previous steps. all is clear and fine.

I am now stuck, as I have dowloaded Vista 32-bit Drivers (R146717) - there is no Tab saying Compatibility Mode?

Also I don't know how to install, as I am not prompted any instruction?

Alice

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2012 04:00

Alice,

Double click on the file. It may unzip and sit there. Look inside for setup.exe, right click on it and left click properties. Change that to Vista SP2 Comaptibility mode. If you cannot do that, just double click on setup. If you have problems, Windows 7 will ask if it installed p[roperly. Wait to answer that question until you try it.

Rick

21 Posts

April 7th, 2012 12:00

Hi Rick,

After installing Vista 32-bit drivers, I have the following window, Driver Software Installation:

DEVICE DRIVER SOFTWARE WAS NOT SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED

Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed:

-USB Composite Device - Passed - Ready to use

-Dell Photo AIO Printer 964 - Passed - Ready to use

-USB Pinting Support  - Passed - Ready to use

-USB Mass Storage Device - Passed - Ready to use

-USB Input Device - Passed - Ready to use

-Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device - Passed - Ready to use

-Dell Photo AIO Printer 964 - Failed

i have found the following exchange on Microsoft Answers!

Question:

Driver for a dell photo 964 AIO printer does not work for Windows 7

Tried the driver for Vista and printer still does not work

Answer

Hi spencerprancer,

There are many discussions going around this. Apparently there is no Windows 7 for the printer model number you’ve provided. Here are some threads that has useful suggestion regarding the same issue.

See if you find the information helpful.

Dell Printer AIO 964 and Windows 7 64

For more help, please get in touch with Dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/contact_us?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Answer

"spencerprancer" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

Tried the driver for Vista and printer still does not work

Try it again using 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'.. i.e. right click on the installation setup file and select 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'

Mike Hall MVP

http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Answer

Hi spencerprancer,

There are many discussions going around this. Apparently there is no Windows 7 for the printer model number you’ve provided. Here are some threads that has useful suggestion regarding the same issue.

See if you find the information helpful.

Dell Printer AIO 964 and Windows 7 64

For more help, please get in touch with Dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/contact_us?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

My Dell 964 Printer AIO worked fine for 6 years, first with XP for 3 years and then another 3 years with Windows7. It just suddenly stopped printing, although the Scanning part is functionning well?
I have double checked on Dell website and Drivers for my Dell 964 AIO Printer for Device Tag <ADMIN NOTE :Service tag removed per privacy policy> are indeed not available!

So what is the solution?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this issue.

Alice

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2012 17:00

Alice,

I suspect you have an issues with the USB Ports on your system. Since this is a desktop, maybe you can post about having trouble with the USB PORTS, causing the printer not to install.

Try posting thw USB port issue in the Dell Desktop Forum. Once the usb port issue is corrected, the printer should install without any problems.

Rick

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 8th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Have you tried a different USB Device to test your computer? (like mouse, flash drive?) You can try updating BIOS. What is the model of yor computer? And operating system?

Regards,

21 Posts

April 8th, 2012 03:00

Hello Everyone,

My Dell Printer 964 AIO is not printing.

PudgyOne from this site has kindly tried to help me reinstall the Printer Driver. However it is not installing.

PudgyOne suspects that I might have an issue with USB Ports.

So I am here asking for help for my USB Port to be corrected.

Alice

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 8th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Click this link and hit download file. http://dell.to/HscDKF  Run and install it. Then it restart by itself. Then retry reinstalling printer software. (like what pudgy's instruction)

Regards,

21 Posts

April 8th, 2012 04:00

Hi Elijah,

Thanks for your welcome! There are some really nice people in Dell community!!

I am not computer literate, so you have to bear with me.

My computer model: (removed by admin)

Operating System: Windows7

I have wireless keyboard and mouse using USB Key for Logitech device and it is working fine.

How do I update BIOS?

Alice

No Events found!