Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

August 27th, 2012 10:00

Photo 966 Printer with Windows 7

Recently replaced our old Dell box with a new Inspiron 660s running Windows 7 (64 bit). The only thing left to do is to get our Photo 966 printer working! I've tried downloading the recommended driver (R165704) from Dell and installing it (which seemed OK) but when I try to print or scan the progress window comes up, it gets to about 20 or 30% and nothing happens! The Forum has a lot of stuff about Photo 966 and Windows 7 but it's all pretty confusing. Is there a simple idot's guide to what to do???

Any help greatly appreciated, Niall

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 27th, 2012 10:00

Niall,

Make and model of your computer and operating system is helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit? Did the system come with Windows 7 or installed/reinstalled?

Operating system in English?

How are you trying to connect the Dell 966 printer to the computer, usb cable or using the wireless adapter? If wireless, was the pritner connected to the network before? If not, make and model of your wireless router and the type of security you're using. What channel?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

August 27th, 2012 15:00

Dell Inspiron 660s running Windows 7 64-bit as installed at the factory.  English operating system.  The printer is connected by USB cable (as supplied with the printer originally so USB 2.0).  Virus software is MacAfee.  Firewall is Microsoft as supplied with Windows 7.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 27th, 2012 16:00

Niall,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Also try reading...

Allow a printer past McAfee

Rick

August 28th, 2012 05:00

Rick,

I have followed the instructions suggested but with no further success - same problems as before.

When trying to print I did get an error indication suggesting that I needed to Enable Bidirectional Support on the printer port.

When I try to do this the setting is not remembered. Pressing Configure Port I get an error saying the operation is not supported.

Any suggestions?

Niall

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 28th, 2012 08:00

Niall,

You tried...

Enable Bidirectional Support/Enable Biodirectional Support

Run this when you're not needing the computer for a long period of time(like at bedtime)

If you have the Windows 7 operating system disk insert the disk and stop it from running.

Start, all programs, accessories, right click on command prompt, left click run as administrator. Type

sfc /scannow          (space between the c and /)

Hit enter. Answer with a Y

Restart yuour computer. This should repair and replace any corrupt Windows files.

Rick

August 29th, 2012 03:00

One small step for man...

The scan didn't reveal any errors, but it is now possible to set Bidirectional Support on the Printer Port.

Attempting to print a test page, the printer starts to try to print but this never finishes. Eventually a blank page is ejected.

Any more suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 29th, 2012 04:00

Niall,

Since you can enable the Bidirectional Support, I would try reinstalling the printer one last time.

Other options are scan for malware or there may still be some corruption of the operating system.

Virus program and firewall blocking communications.

Rick

August 29th, 2012 15:00

I reinstalled but it didn't make any difference. I have now transferred the printer to an older laptop running XP and made it into a network printer so I can print from the Windows 7 PC. Not the solution I wanted but it will do for now. I will look again at whether MacAfee is blocking it somehow.

Niall

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 29th, 2012 16:00

Niall,

If it's not McAfee (Allow a printer past McAfee), then it's possible that some Windows componet may have become beyond repair and you may have to reinstall the operating system.

Rick

No Events found!