Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2009 22:00

Photo All-In-One Printer 962 paper advances won't print -Copies fine

I downloaded 962 drivers from Microsoft today. My printer stopped working for prints from the computer. The copier and fax funtions work fine. I have downloaded the drivers from Dell a little while ago and added a new printer and still have the problem. If I hit the test printer button on the properties it doesn't print either.

When I hit the print key, the printer advances a piece of paper and the window shows the print code is generated as the bar goes from left to right, but there is where everything stops--silence.  If I then press the start key with the mode in copy the sheet that was loaded will copy something on the scanner glass but the word or notepad document I sent to the printer doesn't print. Nothing is jammed and the USB communications are working both directions.

I am using the USB001 port for the printer which I have used for a couple years. Windows XP Windows updates are current. Computer is a Dimension E310.

In the printer job window the print job comes up and status shows printing, then goes to Deleting and the job disappears from the screen.

Bill

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2009 10:00

Bill,

Seen this problem many times. Windows updates are great for Windows ONLY! Microsoft offers drivers that are incorrect and/or the drivers get installed wrong causing many devcies to fail.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

2 Posts

October 28th, 2009 20:00

Rick,

I used the patch and removed the 962 drivers from the Microsoft Update site that trashed my print driver and functional printer. I reloaded the XP driver for the 962 and it works great. The scanner is also working fine.

I did have my printer on a print wireless 3300 but had some problems with the scanner and went to the USB local configuration. It wasn't worth the trouble when I was working with it a couple years ago. Now it collects dust.

My portable computer is connected thru a router and I share the printer on the desktop. I didn't get that working for some reason but with what I have from you already I am sure I can get it running. I have to make sure I have the connectivity thru the network first. It doesn't like the drivers. I didn't load the dirivers on my laptop but what I have may be different than what is on the desktop. I will go thru your process and go from there.

Can't something be done with Microsoft Update so others don't commit suicide on their computers as I did.

Thanks for the help. It was a home run for sure. I don't know how to mark this as solved but if you do it. I am 100 % satisfied and problem solved.

Regards,

Bill

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2009 21:00

Bill,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Here are the instructions if you want to tackle the 3300.

This may seem lenghty but will make things work for you.

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer. 

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Fix your network first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security. Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.(I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

3300 Utility

3300 Firmware

Attach the 3300 to your computer using the USB Cable and insert the 3300 disk. Follow the instructions. It should ask you for the network ID, type of security and password.

Now setup the printer.

Install the drivers, choose network, choose I'm using a wireless print server(if you do not see this, then choose add printer and you should see it then) and follow the instructions.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

No Events found!