Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2009 16:00

Printer for system being built

Hi, all...

Just joined, so sincere apology if this has been asked and answered. I've not found answer reading through.

Studio 15 in "build" stage. Vista 64 Bit. Probably don't need all this but: 1537, Intel Core 2 Duo T6400, 2G, 800MB, 2M L2 Cache (only reason for ridiculous amount of detail is that I read online owner's manual of one of the models - it mentioned more than just RAM and Hard Drive capacity). Disregard all unneeded info which is basically all but OS and RAM/Hard Drive, perhaps?

I need wireless, all-in-one printer, ink jet. Scanner bed long enough to accomodate legal documents.

I read all I can find on-site and off-site and the wording often is such that it is not clear (at least, to me), if a reference to 8.5 x 14" paper is merely stating that size paper can be loaded in or that the "flatbed" of the printer's scanner is big enough to lay and scan a legal document?

I have boxes of documents to scan, many legal size in length. Since I am buying a new printer, I might as well "get it right". Don't want legal pages cut off and imagine that many others must have this need. So, again I'm sorry if there is an answer somewhere here than I keep overlooking.

Please bear with me on my first Dell Community day. It's like the first day of school. I'll get more familiar with the forums. Thanks, in advance, for any help!

Thanks.

April 16th, 2009 16:00

Shadowriter,

An HP C7280 All-in-one will scan legal-size documents.  The glass is letter-sized, but the document feeder pulls a letter-sized or legal -sized document over a reading bar that takes the data off of the original.  If legal-sized paper is loaded into the main paper tray then the legal-sized document that is fed into the feeder mechanism on top of the C7280 will be faithfully reproduced, one-to-one, on the legal-sized paper in the main tray.  The C7280 will also print legal-sized documents from the PC if you properly set up the printing program.  It also handles image documents, photos and the like.

Regards,

Docie

April 17th, 2009 19:00

Thank you Docie. I appreciate the recommendation. I had been looking over the Dell printers, simply because I was in the midst of placing an order with them. In looking for reviews for Dell All-in-Ones, I did encounter other models but again, it wasn't always clear if merely pulling the legal-sized document in would result in a proper scan out. I have a flatbed scanner (an old one that is practically on life support); however, the pics of some of the printers I was reading about showed a short glass.

You're a doctor. Can you keep my flatbed scanner alive for a couple of weeks?? :emotion-1:

Back on topic... it is amazing how many reviews I read that did not reference the ability to re-create a legal-sized document. Most of us with that need would gladly sacrifice a few moments in speed to know that product could do that. Most reviews were about speed, pages per ink cartridge and the like. 

Again, thank you for your input! I'll check that one out. Having just placed the Dell laptop order, I have a couple of weeks to pick up a printer that I can have ready to go.

ShadowWriter 

No Events found!