Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2008 19:00

Printer getting non-network IP address

This is the weirdest problem:

Currently our 5100cn is connected locally to a pc where there is only one ethernet port nearby. 

Other printers in our office are networked using IP addresses, and we can access the Printer Console and have it send us email alerts and its great.

I thought by using a switch, I could network our 5100cn via ethernet instead of usb, but it keeps picking up an ip that is not within our network.

Here's the strange thing:  if I plug the ethernet cable from the printer right into the wall outlet, it gets a correct ip address, something like 192.168.16.42.

However, if i plug the cable into the switch and then the switch into the wall, it gets a weird IP address, something like 169.254.53.198 - totally outside of our range.

I have tried manually entering the IP address from within the printer menu, but it won't print and I can't access the web console either.  I have setup a DHCP reservation (through our SBS 2003 DHCP service), but it will not list as active, even with the manual settings entered on the printer.

I have switched switches just to make sure there is not a problem with the equipment.  The pc that is also connected to the switch gets an IP address just fine:  192.168.16.33.  2 PCs connected to a switch elsewhere in the office are getting IP addresses within our range:  192.168.16.24 & 192.168.16.25 - so I really couldn't understand what the problem is with the printer.

I have powered down the printer, PC, and switch several times in a different order each time.  Can anyone suggest what to do next?

Thanks,

Carrie

104 Posts

June 26th, 2008 10:00

There is a switch limitation i remember, you could not connect more than 3 switchs, maybe this is the problem because if you plug in direct to wall printer gets a valid ip but if you use a switch between it couldn't. If there are more than 3 switchs in the path from server to printer maybe this is the failure's reason.

3 Posts

June 26th, 2008 13:00

Maybe the limit here is 2 switches.  We have one right near the server, and then the one I was trying to use was switch #2.

Thanks,

Carrie

104 Posts

June 26th, 2008 15:00

Hi again, if you connect both printer and pc to a switch without connect to wall, then set static ip address on printer's panel and in the same range that computers ip, try to ping to printer from pc and it should respond ok, remember not to connect switch to the network, only printer and computer to the switch.

if you have troubles setting static ip on printer tell us and i guide you..

3 Posts

June 26th, 2008 16:00

Ok, I understand your instructions.  If I ping the printer and get an OK response, then is it safe to assume that it will work when I plug that switch back into the wall?

Carrie

104 Posts

June 30th, 2008 13:00

Hi again, if you plug only your printer and your computer to a switch without connect this switch to the network, you set a static ip address on printer and computer (like 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11 on printer and computer) and you ping your printer from your computer

c:/>ping [ip address of your printer]

if you've got 4 ok then both printer and computer are ok, it's a network related problem

No Events found!