Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2012 18:00

Trouble with V515w

I am about ready to run out and get a HP Printer. This is my second Dell Multi Function and I hate them both.

Is it possible to set up the V515W to run Wireless and USB at the same time ?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 4th, 2012 12:00

brianb615,

Sorry for the delay, work.

You have a wireless router or the ISP modem/router is wireless, correct?

Your setup should be...

wall > ISP Modem/router > wireless router(if any) wired/wireless

You can print to the wireless printer from the other system, correct?

Having the printer wireless, a desktop, if plugged in to the wireles router, can print to a wireless printer, no usb cable needed.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Start, control panel, programs and features, Dell V515w Printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

With the computer online, insert the printer disk, choose additional computer and choose network. It will ask you which printer, shoose your printer and follow the instructions.

Also try reading...

Allow a printer past Trend Micro

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 1st, 2012 18:00

brianb615,

Now why would you want to do that?

Let me guess, you have a desktop and want to print, correct?

Rick

11 Posts

May 2nd, 2012 14:00

The computer is a desktop and it seems to keep losing the connection to the printer.  BTW the desktop is a Dell also.

The only way to print is to constantly reinstall everything for the printer, or place the documents a thumb drive.

When I have hooked it up by USB it seems to work somewhat better. However it seems like the wireless stops working for all the other computers.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2012 16:00

brianb615,

A couple of questions.

Do you have a wireless router? If yes, what type of connections are the desktops using?

What virus program and firewall are you using on each?

Make and model of each computer and operating system. 32-bit or 64-bit? If Windows 7, did the computer come with Windows 7 or was it upgraded?

Rick

11 Posts

May 3rd, 2012 07:00

Here you go Rick

1) Wireless Router is about 25 feet away from printer and computer. Computer is hard wired to router. Printer is on wireless only.

FYI Computer has hard wire connection and a wireless hook up. I keep the wireless hooked up for printer

2) Virus and Firewall are Trend Micro

3) Computer not working is Dell Inspirion Zino HD.  Came with 64 Bit Windows 7. No upgrade on Operating Systems

Hope this helps

11 Posts

May 4th, 2012 18:00

No problem on work Rick ..real life happens.

First off the modem is a ISP provided 2wire Router

Here is the part I think is giving me trouble.

• As mentioned earlier the computer in question is hard wired to the router, in order to speed up the net.
  • I also have a Netgear Wireless Adapter plugged into the same computer.
  • If I remove the Netgear Wireless Adapter it will not be able to print  by wireless to the printer
  • If I still remove the Netgear Adapter and do a USB connection to the printer, how will I still be able to print by wireless from the other computers.

11 Posts

May 4th, 2012 19:00

Rick

I did the instructions you sent earlier, with one minor change ... I removed the wireless adapter.

Long story short, it works great now.  Thank you very much.!!

Brian

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 5th, 2012 15:00

Brian,

Glad you got things working. :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

I use a wireless router and then use the printer using the wireless adapter. I didn't like the idea of having a host computer on to print.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!