Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2013 17:00

V715W Disconnects

I have two computers that share a Dell V715W printer.  The desktop is connected to the printer via USB and the laptop is connected on an Ethernet network.  The printer is also connected to the Ethernet network.  The desktop is running 64 bit Windows 8 and the laptop is running 32 bit Windows 7.  

I never have an issue printing from the desktop, but the laptop will attempt to print and then eventually come back with an error.  Communication is not available, The printer cannot communicate with the computer.  Usually a reboot of the laptop will resume printing.  If that does not work I have to reinstall the printer on the laptop.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 16th, 2013 11:00

jturcich,

Try the tweaks above?

Why is the printer using the usb cable? This is a wireless printer. If the wireless adapter is setup, a laptop can print wireless and a desktop that is plugged into the wireless router can print wirelessly, no usb cable needed.

Check Zone Alarm. Have had Zone Alarm block printers many times.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2013 19:00

jturcich,

Try these tweaks on both computers...

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Why aren't you using the wireless adapter in the printer?

Rick

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 4th, 2013 06:00

Hi jturcich,

In addition to Rockstar Ricks suggestion, please perform the steps below and ensure that the services required for the printer to work are started in both the computers.

1. Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.
  2. Type “Services.msc” in the run window and hit the Enter key.

Right click each service mentioned below, click properties. Set the startup type as “Automatic” from the drop down menu and click “Start”. Please click “Apply” to save the changes.

The services to be enabled are:

• Human Interface Devices (HID).
  • Printer Spooler.
  • RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
  • RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call Locator).
  • Windows image acquisition (WIA).
  • Windows Installer.

Restart the computer after the Services are started, and try to print document.

If the issue persists, disable Firewall in antivirus program from the computer and check; if you are able to print after firewall is disabled in the computer, then printer needs to be given exceptions in firewall settings.

Please check and reply for any further help.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

August 15th, 2013 13:00

I am trying the USB changes to see if it will solve it.  It is very intermittent so it will take a while to verify.  I don't use the wireless on the printer because I have a switch under my desk that it is connected to.  The laptop connects to the network via an access point.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 15th, 2013 14:00

jturcich,

So the printer is connected to the computer using the usb cable, correct?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

August 16th, 2013 08:00

My desktop is connected with a USB cable, the laptop via my wireless network.  Both computers run ZoneAlarm Extreme Security for Firewall and Anti-Virus

No Events found!