Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2008 19:00

Wireless Printer 15ft Specification - Complaint!!!

I recently bought a Dell 968 Wireless All-In-One printer.  From the start, it suffered from intermittent issues with printing.  A print job would get caught in the que and plug up the works.  After clearing the que and re-starting the printer, everything would work fine until the next time.  I tried everything to resolve it without success.  When I got around to contacting Dell Tech Support, they said the printer must be within 15ft of the router!?  I was dumbfounded.  They tried to say that the wireless system in a printer is different than one in a computer and router.  I looked and found nothing in the specifications that requires the unit to be within a certain range.....you either get the signal or you don't.  Instead of 15ft, my printer is about 45ft (only 15yds, excellent wireless signal strength) and Dell said it wouldn't work.

I went down to my local computer store and they just laughed at that explanation.  I bought a new Epson and it has worked flawlessly.  Now, because I didn't figure this all out within the 21 day return limit, they are refusing to make good on this issue.  If anyone else has experienced this issue, please let me know.

If I don't get resolution, I will be proceeding with all the major Blogs, the BBB, and other public forums.

December 7th, 2008 10:00

I don't seem to have a problem with my computer(s) and printer communicating wirelessly. I use WPS-PSK(TKIP) Security, mixed mode, channel 11 and recently I added Mac addresses to my security.

Part of your issue might be using channel 7. Try using channels 1, 6 or 11, this might help.

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Rick

No Events found!