Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2011 11:00

communication not available

Friend bought a new 17R inspiron and V715W printer on 6/24/11.  Windows 7 (64 bit, I'm guessing). 

I installed both onto a wireless network with a Linsys E1200 wireless modem. Worked fine until 1 month ago.

Starting then when we'd go to print anything, we'd get a communicaiton not available message pop up eventually (as in from 1 - 5 minutes later).

When looking at printer on the laptop, it showed ready and active, etc.  When looking at printer, had green wifi light (solid), and network setup print page showed connection like it should be.

When viewing router via laptop, the printer shows as a client and it pings ok.

If printing via usb, prints ok.

Uninstalled and re-installed (via installation cd (and checked for updates - there were none)), gets error message 1796 (specified port unkown).

When manually installing via window, it will connect long enough to print the windows test page, but nothing else will print.

Uninstalled again, turned off mcafee firewall, re-installed via cd, same 1796. Tried install again (w/o uninstalling), now gui-install abending.

Any hints to try the next time I tackle this problem?

Thanks

Bob

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 25th, 2011 12:00

Bob,

On the Linksys E1200 wireless N router, are you using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

The wireless adapter works on the 2.4GHz band so you need to connect to the wireless G band with this printer.

Run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer, start, control panel, programs and features, Dell V715 Printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

With the computer online, insert the Dell V715 Printer disk and follow the instructions. At some point, it will say the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Also try reading...

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

2 Posts

September 25th, 2011 15:00

Rick;

Thanks for the fast reply.  

It was the McAfee, not having the Windows File Sharing ports allowed.  I have no idea how the ports became disabled.  Perhaps an upgarde?

Why my re-install didn't work when I turned off the McAfee firewall, who knows.  

But this time I made sure; everything was clean, set McAfee, then re-installed.  Working now.

I was frogging around with McAfee the other time, but never stumbled into the ports listing.

Thanks again.

Bob

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 25th, 2011 15:00

Bob,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. A stuck print job in the queue, will not allow you to uninstall and reinstall, it's just stuck.

McAfee, if they update the program, you may have to get there and allow the printer sharing. It should keep the settings but sometimes they get removed during an upgrade.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!