Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

December 2nd, 2007 20:00

Archive files in Outlook 2003 killed Outlook

I auto archived my Outlook 2003 for the first time and now I can't open Outlook at all. Message I get is: "The file C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst could not be found" I close it down and get " Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Unable to open Outlook window. The set of folders could not be open. The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists". I am the admin so I still don't now what to do. I recently added an external 500GB HD and I did a system back up to the main C drive onto the back up HD "System restore' did not fix problem. Any suggestions on what to do? Dells XPS 700 Desktop running Vista Business. Thanks!

2.5K Posts

December 5th, 2007 22:00

System Restore does not restore data.  Since you have made a copy of your C: drive to an external HDD, you can look for a backup copy of the Outlook.pst on the drive at the same location.

When you get the error about Outlook.pst cannot be found, does Outlook prompt you to locate the file and/or to create a new one?  If you can't find your old Outlook.pst, one option is to create a new PST file at a location of your own choice, or allow it to be created at the default location:

For Windows 2000/XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\ [username] \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

For Vista:
C:\Users\ [username] \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

After you can reopen your OL, you can look up the location of your archive.PST file in Tools > Options > Other, then click on [AutoArchive] button.  Once you have located this PST file, you can import your archive back into your Outlook.PST (File > Import and Export > Import from another program or file)

Good luck.

Message Edited by esquire on 12-06-2007 08:49 AM
No Events found!