Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2011 12:00

Copying a DVD on XPS 15 - Roxio extended error?

I'm trying to make copies of DVD's - family stuff, not commercial. This new XPS15 (running Win7 Ultimate) seems to insist on using Roxio Creator Starter (via the little disk icon that pops up on the screen when you insert a disk). It plays the DVD OK but will not copy it - it 'reads' the disk then asks for a blank disk, when I put that in it says 'extended error 0xfffe84fa'  and ejects the disk wthout doing anything.

What's more, if I bring up the Roxio Creator program it doesn't give any option for copying DVD's.

I'd rather not use Roxio at all. Isn't there some way to stop Roxio grabbing the process? Can I uninstall Roxio without upsetting the CD/DVD drive?

Kate

32 Posts

August 7th, 2011 07:00

OK. No thanks to Dell, but immense and eternal thanks to those on these forums who suggested ImgBurn. An utterly splendid, light, effective program that does exactly what it says on the box.

Why on earth does Dell continue to bundle useless stuff like the Roxio program, which presumably it pays some kind of royalty for?  It could pay the same amount to the noble developers of ImgBurn and give us all a break.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 6th, 2011 13:00

You can uninstall Roxio and use whatever you want.  I personally use Nero as I've had it with Roxio and all it's bugs.  

32 Posts

August 7th, 2011 04:00

Thanks, fireberd, have uninstalled Roxio Creator Starter. But now I don't know how to copy a DVD. All the help available for Windows DVD Maker etc assumes you have videos on your hard disk. Googling is no help.

On my old Inspiron laptop I could do it in one operation with a clunky but effective Sonic program that was bundled with the computer. Is it possible that Dell haven't bundled a DVD-copy program with the very expensive and highly specced XPS 15? The Roxio program wasn't capable of copying DVD's.

Am I missing something here?  What can I do to copy these DVD's? Do I have to purchase a program or is there something already on the machine I can use, as there is for copying CD's?

Kate

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 7th, 2011 06:00

The Roxio program should have had a "disc" copy program (it may not have specifically stated DVD copy).  Disc copy is one of the basic functions that CD/DVD burning programs have.    The old Sonic had some bug problems too (and Sonic owns Roxio).   The versions that PC manufacturers include with their new PC"s are "lite" versions and do not have all the functions.

CD BurnerXP has a disc copy function, it's free and you can try it   Click Me

Nero (what I use) has a free Trial Version  HERE

No Events found!