Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2016 08:00

Display Driver Crash on Optiplex 5040 using Excel

We have 3 new Dell Optiplex 5040's ( i7, 8GB Ram, 500 GB HDD) with no addon gpu.  On all the computers the display driver randomly crashes and recovers while using Excel 2010.  I have updated to the latest display drivers, turned off hardware acceleration in Excel and extended the display driver timeout in the registry.  The registry fix made it longer between crashes but did not fix the problem.  Any suggestions?

1 Message

June 10th, 2016 07:00

All, 

We're seeing the same issues on Optiplex 5040 desktops and Latitude E7x70 Laptops (All coming with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSDs)

We're running the latest Bios (1.2.7 on the desktop) and Win7 64bit / Office 2010 32Bit

It seems to be Skype for Business (Lync.exe) that crashes then the display driver resets... we get the following in the event log although most users report that they are using Excel at the time of the crash.

Faulting application name: lync.exe, version: 15.0.4809.1000, time stamp: 0x56cbfaf2
Faulting module name: igd10iumd32.dll, version: 10.18.15.4279, time stamp: 0x55db7e87
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000485a3
Faulting process id: 0x1e54
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1c255ddccd0a6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\lync.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\igd10iumd32.dll
Report Id: 76d06a76-2e4c-11e6-85f9-1866da0201f0

Since our image was produced, Dell have released some new display drivers - the first one I tried from the Dell site did not fix the issue and neither did the Intel one but I'm now testing the one released by Dell on the 24th of May and it seems to have hopefully fixed it!

For the 5040 this is version 20.19.15.4454 A07

(the previous one ended with 4390 A05)

I notice that they also released an updated driver for the E7270 Laptop on the same date so maybe applies the same fix.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2016 03:00

I can confirm the display driver issue only occurred when using Excel. More specifically Excel 2007 0r 2010 32bit on Windows 7 64bit E5470 Laptops.
In the end I thought it was down to the fact we have 32 bit Office installations on our new 64bit laptops (This may well still be the case), however what forced me to test every other factor I could think of was the fact our 2007 & 2010 Microsoft licenses are strictly 32 bit, every 64 bit Office installation on our new laptops would have required us to purchase a duplicate license for each user (over 100).
With reference to Corradotdi (above) I can confirm the latest Intel driver I upgraded to (end of May) also fixed the issue on the Latitude E5470. When I reinstalled the driver, I did notice a tick box to use Aero with said driver, due to reading another users comments in this forum regarding Aero I un-ticked this box when installing the Intel Driver:  20.19.15.4444. The previous driver to this (similar to Corradtdi) also ended with 4390 and quite frustratingly also did not solve the issue. Extremely glad it wasn't just me left frustrated by an updated driver which still didn't work!
Intel Driver:  20.19.15.4444 has been running for over 2 weeks now without a single error, the User in question uses Excel as the mainstay of her job and previously it would error within 2 working days of use, needless to say I am much relieved as I need to roll out the 64bit E5470 to most of our HQ in the coming month\s.
Thank you for all the liaison above and everybody who chipped in, very much appreciated, from one I.T Technician to another.
The only thing that still boggles me albeit isn't an issue anymore, is that the E5470 laptops I have procured have a dual graphics, namely the ATI Radeon Chip also installed. This display driver would also error in reference to Excel, however I haven't needed to and initially already installed the latest update to this driver which made no difference?

1 Message

February 9th, 2016 04:00

We are also experimenting issues with Optiplex 5040 and new Dell Displays.

February 22nd, 2016 10:00

Ditto, we are experiencing the same thing with multiple OptiPlex 5040 desktops in multiple offices. Majority of the help desk calls we take when the driver crashes is with Excel 2010 also. We are running the latest BIOS/Driver and the time of this post (BIOS v1.2.7 and Driver 10.18.15.4279_A01). I will try your suggestions to lessen the help desk calls until Dell gets this fix. Thanks

March 18th, 2016 13:00

Greetings!

All right settle yourselves in now.

I've been troubleshooting this issue since February. Here's what I have so far.

1. I have a case open with Dell support as we have prosupport on our PC's it is currently being reviewed to be escalated. Stay tuned. I'll post any updates I get.

2. I have tried multiple drivers of the Intel HD 530. Confirmed issues on the .4279, .4268, .4352, .4380

3. Dell support ran the Dell command program on a test pc ( I have about 10 users out of 20 that have reported the issue) which uninstalled the reinstalled the latest drivers for the pc based on service tag. The issue still remained.

4. the test pc was modified ready for our users, on a pc with no modifications except the join to domain and office 2010 install, the issue occurred.

5. The issue occurs on dual and single monitor displays.

6. most pc's are Win 7 Pro, 32 bit, 4GB ram. Intel core 3. others are the same but 64 bit. All 32 bit have the latest bios 1.2.7. (see below) and some of the 64 bit have the 1.1.1 BIOS-- I need to record that better but we are now using 32bit instead of 64bit so the 1.2.7 is being used by more users.

7. Cannot force issue when a Graphics card is installed and used. (I force the issue by opening a excel doc, then copying and pasting several times. the error almost always occurs within 2 minutes, and usually when I am in the process of selecting a large group of cells).

8. Issue does seem linked at the least to Excel usage, however I have at least user who has had the issue when excel was not open.

Other notes:

-I cannot get the issue to occur when another user is viewing the screen i.e. dell support or thru winvnc's mirror driver.

-I am going to test the following soon using the standard VGA adapter (when no driver is installed). and

-the latest beta driver ver: 15.40.20.4404 date 3/11/2016.

Bottom line:

I believe that the issue is actually hardware based, although the driver may play a role. I do not believe the issue is due to Excel.

This is because of the ntvdm.exe issue I encountered when I moved from a 64bit OS to 32bit OS.

go here for some of the info: communities.intel.com/.../51161;tstart=0  

Ultimately I was able to prove that only the latest BIOS 1.2.7 OR the installing of a graphics card on the 1.1.1 Bios would allow ntvdm.exe and sysedit.exe etc to run correctly.

16 Posts

March 21st, 2016 09:00

Thank you for the great info.  I also believe it to be hardware based.  Please keep us updated.

March 21st, 2016 10:00

Update:

--I cannot get the error to occur when using no driver (the Standard VGA adapter).

--The latest beta driver ver: 15.40.20.4404 dated 3/11/2016 did not make a difference.

Please also see this site: www.intel.com/.../000005482.html

My tests have been on PC's with .net 4.5.1, .net 4.0 and no .net installed.

I am looking for the latest generic version of the Intel® Graphics Driver

March 21st, 2016 11:00

After updating to the latest BIOS and Video driver from Dell's website, 90% of the help desk calls went away. The remaining help desk calls we mostly Excel 2010 users for us, but occasional other applications would trigger a crash too. After applying Microsoft's suggestion/FixMe to extend the video driver timeout, we have not taken a single help desk in two weeks. Here is the Microsoft article: support.microsoft.com/.../2665946 . This of course is just a work around, like other posts, I believe Dell needs to fix this with BIOS/Driver update.

March 31st, 2016 07:00

VanMichael-- I have only one instance of this issue occurring when Excel was not opened. What other applications produced errors for you?

All--- I tried the latest driver version 20.19.15.4390 and it also errors. I am working with Dell Prosupport and my contact is also escalating this issue. In meantime I will be testing the latest driver .4390 with different .net frameworks installed 4.6, 3.5 and maybe earlier. I will also be installing Office 13 and testing Excel 13 also.

April 7th, 2016 14:00

Ok- I have a feasible workaround and a bit more info from Dell.

Workaround:

Stop and disable from starting the uxsms service aka Desktop Window Manager Session Manager (too many "managers") . This service is responsible for Aero Effects and especially the peek ability. In my testing and for almost a week now, we haven't had a case of a driver fail. Reasons for this are unknown but Dell's guess is:

"I did some more digging based on your findings and Office 2010 does support animations and effects and I found some forums where this did cause issues with program lock ups.  Disabling Aero seems to fix several bugs like this.  Office 2013 does not have the same animation and effects so it seems to not be affected."

I asked my rep. which forums and where he got the info. but haven't heard back yet. I only found that 2013 Office has animations etc. in my searches.....

Note: I cannot get the error to occur when using Excel 2013. .NET framework appears to not play a role.

Here's my simple script for stopping and disabling uxsms:

%systemdrive%

sc config uxsms start= disabled

net stop uxsms

exit

16 Posts

April 11th, 2016 08:00

Thank you for the update.  I will try disabling the uxsms service.  Since I am in the process of planning the upgrade of Exchange (2003 - 2010, better late than never) I will be able to upgrade the 5040's to Office 2013.  Hopefully this will work til then.

1 Message

April 28th, 2016 03:00

I'm running into same problem with some of my 5040s (i5-6500, 128 SSD, 8 GB, Win 7 Pro). We have this problem with Office 2016 actually.. I installed the latest BIOS and display drivers, but it didn't seem to help.

So if anyone has recently found a solution to this, it would be extremely great to share.

May 12th, 2016 05:00

MadisL- did you not read the workaround I offered? That worked for all my users, no one even noticed the lack of Aero effects.

I worked with my Dell support tech and tested the this driver from Intel: 15.40.22.4424 (x86 and x64). I could not make this driver error like the others. As such I deployed it to 5 pc's on last Saturday. 5/7. So far so good. If anything changes I'll  let ya'll know.

Link to driver download. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88345/Intel-HD-Graphics-530-for-6th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors

2 Posts

May 31st, 2016 06:00

Get the following on a Dell Latitude E5470 (Windows 7 64 bit)

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.
Display driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered.’

Bought 12 of these from Dell (Very Expensive)

The issue seems to mainly arise from a user who uses Microsoft Excel a lot. I have built and rebuilt 3 laptops from the 12 originally bought, eventually the same issue has occurred with all of them. It may take up to 3 days to occur or it may occur 3 times in the same day. It is extremely frustrating for the user. Contacted Dell Pro support but I have already done the obvious several times including:

Updated to the latest graphics driver (both Intel and AMD)

Updated to the latest BIOS

Used the original Dell Windows setup out of the box (as well as my own image)

Upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2010 (Same issue in both versions)

Disabled AMD graphics, solely using Intel 520 HD

Updated graphics driver from AMD website

Installed every Windows update available

I haven't tried the script on said laptop mentioned above, once applied does this stop the service\Aero running each time the laptop is restarted or does it have to be run with every login?

June 8th, 2016 08:00

JPB-AUK,

Are you able to reproduce the issue on them? For me it always occurred when a had a large clipboard, and would be trying to select cells-- esp from a corner to the opposite corner. I would select and deselect quickly and that would cause it. Try it out.

which driver are you using then? AMD or Intel? The error indicates the intel driver is in use. Try using the other by uninstalling the driver software (you may have to remove the software from your pc also otherwise it may try to reinstall it) and see if the error occurs then.

the script will turn off, then disable from running the service that enables Aero.

I would try it, and use this script to renable it if you or your users notice/don't like it. I did this for about 40 users, and no one noticed. I did it to my pc, (which i'm running helpdesk and it's crazy) and I noticed but it didn't affect me.

%systemdrive%
sc config uxsms start= auto 
net start uxsms
exit

let me know.

No Events found!