Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 29th, 2012 09:00

Intel Anti-Theft -- what is it?

I just purchased a Dell Windows 7 system a few days ago, and after a recent reboot I got a popup that I was not enrolled in the "Intel Anti-Theft Service".

Is this something that is supposed to be included in my purchase?  If so, what do I need to do?  Or is it just another pre-installed nuisance that's trying to get me to spend money?

Can I just diable all the notications in the "Intel Management and Security Status" window, including the one that says "Intel Management and Security Status will be available next time I log into Windows*"?

1.8K Posts

November 1st, 2012 12:00

Hi,

To register your computer, click on the link: http://bit.ly/WbOL8s . In order to "enroll" your PC in an anti-theft service, you need to first activate your account and create a login ID and password. You can find the details on how to enroll with Intel Anti-theft technology from the link: http://intel.ly/RwnKoF . Once you log in you can go through terms and conditions to know more about it. Once you create an account, you would need to log in to website: http://bit.ly/Ss1zl7 . If the system is stolen or lost, you would need to contact them and they will be able to assist in tracing the location of system. 

Please reply in case you have more questions.

1.8K Posts

October 29th, 2012 10:00

Hi, 

Intel Anti-Theft Technology helps keep your laptop safe and secure in the event that it’s ever lost or stolen.  Once it’s locked down, your computer will not boot up and the locked screen will display your custom recovery message. If you have purchased it with the computer, you need to activate it by registering for the Intel Anti-Theft Service to activate the capabilities and download the software to your laptop. If you don’t want to, you can simply ignore the pop up. 

To know more about it, you can refer to link: http://intel.ly/TQ2tX9 

By default, Intel Management and Security Status loads on windows startup. There are some ways to change this:

You can uncheck the "Intel Management and Security Status will be available next time I log on to Windows" check box to prevent it from happening:

Another method is removing the IMSS app from the startup configuration Microsoft's System Configuration Utility:

• Click on the Windows start icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.
  • Type 'msconfig' in the search box and then either press enter on your keyboard or double-click on the 'msconfig' program that appears in the search results.

• Windows 7 will launch Microsoft's System Configuration Utility. Click on the Startup tab.

• This takes you to a page with a list of "startup items." Startup items are programs that are automatically loaded every time you turn on your computer.

• Uncheck the box for 'PrivacyIconClient'. Do not uncheck other Intel services and applications, as they may be of importance to your system's function and performance.
  • Click Apply -- > OK
  • Restart your computer.

Please reply in case you have further questions.

2 Posts

October 29th, 2012 11:00

Since I have a desktop, not a laptop, I guess I don't need this and will disable the Intel Management and Security window.

However, nothing has told me what I would need to do if I *did* want to enroll in this service -- where do I sign up? does it cost? what do I do if it is stolen?

2 Posts

November 16th, 2021 16:00

I'm asking from you as well - is there any solution for us Linux users? Or should I just permanently disable it in BIOS, because I won't install a Windows OS (outside a VM) on my machine, and if this is Windows only, whatever would I ever need it for?

2 Posts

November 16th, 2021 16:00

Question about this solution - this needs to be registered from application. All I've seen only Windows applications mentioned. Is this service totally useless for Linux users, or is there a version of the software for us? Because otherwise I could just permanently disable Intel AT in BIOS - my machines will never be installed Windows, Virtual Machines possibly not included, but that's not relevant. If I can't use this with Linux, then whatever would I ever do with it?

No Events found!