Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2004 13:00

Jumping Cursor

Problem is related to typing characters from the keyboard, and occurs when working in the body of an Outlook Express or a Word document.  The cursor unexpectly jumps from its current location (just after the last typed character) to another position in the document.  At times it moves down in the document, sometimes up.  It is never predictable where it might move.  In an email document the cursor may wind up behind my signature, in the body, or in the "Subject" line.  I recognize that I might be inadvertently depressing key combinations that cause the cursor to move.  However I've never had this problem with any other software / hardware.  And I've never seen this happen so consistently.  My wife also has experienced this problem when using my laptop and she, as well, has no previous history with this happening.  Thanks.

3 Posts

January 9th, 2004 15:00

Sorry....Dell Inspiron 5100, XP.

No voice recognition turned on, no mic on.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 9th, 2004 15:00

Do you have "voice recognition" turned on and also the mic connected and not muted?  Try muting the mic first and if that fixes it then you probably have voice recognition turned on in Windows XP.   I assume you have Windows XP, you didn't include that in your post.  Any initial problem post should include the PC Model Number and the Operating system, as there are many Dell models and OS's, it can make a difference for someone to give you specific assistance rather than just general suggestions.

12 Posts

January 9th, 2004 23:00

I have the same problem with the cursor, especially when preparing email. I don't know if it is a problem with the Dell hardware, or MS Office 2003. I am very disappointed with both at this point. It's hard to get simple, straight answers. Anyone out there know how to solve the problem?

12 Posts

January 9th, 2004 23:00

I have an Inspiron 5150 with MS XP Professional. I am also using MS Office 2003.

1.7K Posts

January 10th, 2004 01:00

You mention "when using both...." Does this mean you have can move the cursor with a mouse attached, and, with  the mose attached, you can also move the cursor with the touchpad?

12 Posts

It happens when using both the touch pad and an external wireless mouse.

12 Posts

Yes, I can move the cursor with both the touchpad and mouse without having to disconnect the wireless mouse.

12 Posts

I received the wireless mouse with the new computer and installed it when setting up my computer. The problem exists even when I do not have the wireless mouse connected (it has an external antenna in the back).

Sometimes when I start the computer up, the cursor (not the insertion point), jumps all over the screen while it is waiting to load all the programs. The way to remedy the problem is to make an infrared connection between the mouse and antenna.

12 Posts

Thank you Mr. Bach.

It is the insertion point that is floating. (either that or the computer is possessed). I do not have voice recognition on my computer.

Lee Johnson

Tavares, Fl.

1.7K Posts

Did this occur before you installed the wireless mouse? If not, the wireless mouse driver may be the culprit.

1.7K Posts

It's interesting that you both have Inspiron 5000 series laptops. When you mention the cursor, are you referring to the insertion point? I refer to the cursor as the mouse pointer, and the vertical line while typing as the insertion point.

I'd guess you're both referring to the insertion point. If so, are both using the touchpad, or does either of you use an external mouse?

Since you have the voice recognition turned off, I would look at the following:

Mouse driver
Graphics card driver
Sound Card driver

Also, do you have a printer connected to your laptop? Let me know, as I would like to help you solve this.

12 Posts

I was not aware that voice recognition was a part of XP ( I use to have a VR software program). How do I check to see if it is on or off? As you can probably tell, I am not real technical.

1.7K Posts

Voice recognition is part of Windows XP. Have you turned it off?

12 Posts

No printer connected to the laptop. I use a wireless connection to my desktop computer to send print jobs.

Thank you for your interest, and help, in this matter.

Lee J.

1.7K Posts

January 10th, 2004 02:00

Good question. I remember closing the language bar when I first installed Word. I'll have to look this up, as I am not a user of any speech recognition items.

No Events found!