Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 22nd, 2008 01:00

MS-Outlook 2003 vs. Vista (Please wait while Windows configures ...)

Hi,

I just installed Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 on a new Dell XPS 420 with Microsoft Vista Home Premium. Everytime I start, close, send email, receive email, import data from a PST file (and I mean once for every message, contact, or appointment), a couple dialog boxes pop up. The first says installing which is then covered by a second dialog that says, "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003."

I don't think MS-Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, or Visio 2003 do this but I really haven't done too much with them.

Anyone see weird things happen with MS-Office products, especailly MS-Outlook 2003?

One think I did try was disabling PC-cillin so it wouldn't scan incoming or outgoing emails but that didn't make any difference. Turns out PC-cillin was enabled when I installe Office but I don't know if that would have adervsely affected the install.

If anyone has a clue or a guess, please let me know.

I have not tried the Microsoft installation cleanup utility. Because the utility has the potential of causing as much damage as it does repairing things, I thought I'd wait as see what advice I get.

Thanks,

Mark

1.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2008 10:00

Have you updated to the latest service pack for Office 2003? If so, try the cleanup - you may have to repair or re-install Office, but it should solve your problem.

January 22nd, 2008 11:00

No I haven't loaded the service pack for a three reasons. First, what I have for MS-Office 2003 is an enterprise version supplied by my employer for home use so I'm not exactly sure I can install the SP. It isn't exactly the same as retail so before I load it, I need to call my enterprise tech support to make sure there are no known issues with doing that. Second, I read the knowledgebase ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923618) on SP3 and didn't see much in terms of Vista fixes. Third, I need to understand what file types that are blocked by the SP3. Don't know what those are yet.

What I have done is a detect and repair on the installation and disabled PC-cillin from scanning incoming and outgoing message. Neither test made a difference in the problem.

I appreciate the advice and may eventually try this but I'm hoping that someone may have already fixed my problem and can tell me how they did it.

Thanks,

Mark

Message Edited by markinzeroland on 01-22-2008 07:13 AM

83 Posts

January 22nd, 2008 12:00

I was running a school-provided copy of the "Enterprise" version of Office 2003 until a few days ago (Vista Home Premium). There is no difference between corporate copies and consumer-purchased copies. You can update normally.

It doesn't have to have any Vista-specific fixes to work. A bug in Office 2003 could be the problem regardless of the OS. When I first installed Office 2003 on my laptop, I did all the updates before opening a single application. Nothing went wrong.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2008 21:00

I have an "enterprise" version of Office 2003 on my Vista machine.  I've done all the updates and everything including Outlook 2003 is running as it should.

January 28th, 2008 03:00

After checking with my enterprise tech support to make sure there are no known issues with installing SP3 on my version of MS-Office 2003, I installed the service pack and it appears to have fixed my problems. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mark
No Events found!