Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 9th, 2008 19:00

Missing pro11.msi file/Outlook 2003

When I try to export contacts to an Excel file from Outlook, I get a message that a required  translator file "pro11.msi" is missing, and therefore I cannot perform the export function.

Inspiron 600m
MS Office Professional 2003

1.7K Posts

January 9th, 2008 19:00

You can read about a solution << here .. or just use a detect and repair under the Help menu in Outlook.

4 Posts

January 10th, 2008 14:00

Thank you for your reply.  I tried this, as I first went to the MS site myself, but it didn't work.  According to the MS info, I might need to obtain a repair CD from Dell to solve this.  I just don't understand why it needs that in the first place.

2.9K Posts

January 12th, 2008 03:00

"I just don't understand why it needs that in the first place."

Because the required file is missing, damaged or corrupted. Do you not have the original Office 2003 installation CD?

4 Posts

January 12th, 2008 15:00

No, I don't.  This computer was purchased through a company, directly from Dell, with whom I'm no longer affiliated.  When I received it, it had everything installed, and I received no installation CDs.  What I did receive was a printed postcard-like copy of a CD saying that my "computer does not require an operating CD", and if I ever need to re-install software, I should use either Dell PC Restore or Microsoft Windows System Restore, which would return my computer to an "earlier operating state". 

I did try the Windows System Restore, going back a couple years, but that didn't help.  I'm not sure to whom I should turn, Dell or Microsoft.  Everything else in Outlook seems to work fine.  It's just weird that this one simple function of exporting to an Excel file wouldn't work.

1.7K Posts

January 12th, 2008 16:00

You're out of luck. Unless you can get an Office 2003 CD and reinstall Office, there is nothing you can do to make Office work again.

However, if there is a restore program, it might be possible that Office 2003 is included in the restore (highly doubt it, though) and would be reinstalled if a restore is run. However, you'll lose all your files (if you don't back them up) with a restore.

Rule #1 - when purchasing a PC, make sure all CD's are included, even if you have to pay a few dollars more for them.

2.9K Posts

January 12th, 2008 16:00

Was Office 2003 installed on the computer when you received it, or was it installed later? If Office was installed at purchase, you should have received the appropriate installation CD's. The "mystery file" is an Office installation file - NOT an OS file.

edited: Oops - sorry. You did say that everything was installed when you purchased the computer. If that's the case, then as abach pointed out, you are out of luck unless you can scrounge up an Office 2003 CD.

Message Edited by Rebel9 on 01-12-2008 01:11 PM

2.9K Posts

January 12th, 2008 19:00

"Can I just borrow someone's Office installation CD?"

Yes. If you are simply prompted for the .msi file or if you do a "Detect & Repair", you should be fine.

If, however you have to completely reinstall Office, you'll need the Product Key for YOUR OWN version. If you can't find the product key, download and install the Belarc Advisor. It will find the product key for the version of Office that's installed on your computer. Simply enter this Key when it is required.

4 Posts

January 12th, 2008 19:00

Thank you both for your information.  Can I just borrow someone's Office installation CD, and re install it, and it won't mess anything up?
No Events found!