Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2015 13:00

My Dell Downloads not working

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 on my Inspiron 15z 5523. I wanted to reload the bundled software from the My Dell Downloads website using Internet Explorer 11. However when I attempt to register my system "Examining your computer please wait ..." blinks on the screen for a split second then nothing else happens. I didn't get any prompts to install any add-on such as "SysPro.exe from Dell Inc."

Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to fix it?

May 7th, 2015 14:00

The one I'm concerned with getting software suite for is late 2012. The other two are a couple of years older.

At least if an error message was presented, it would be helpful in figuring out why it doesn't work for me.

1 Message

May 7th, 2015 15:00

I have tried My Dell Downloads multiple time over the past 12 hours without luck.

May 7th, 2015 18:00

Thanks David, With your last name, if you are not a shoe-in for entry....nobody is...lol

Did you get any error?

Thanks for trying. I wonder if anyone from Dell is paying attention? Seems I'm not alone, others have the same issue.

I hope others will try and report back with their results.

May 9th, 2015 23:00

for over a year now. And it seems Dell could care less!!!! I've tried to get help, and they offer me a "fee based support" of $80 to help me resolve the issue... I said the issue is with YOU! not me... just read your own forums.... Thx for nothing DELL

May 9th, 2015 23:00

I have also been fighting this issue.... for over a year now. And it seems Dell could care less!!!! I've tried to get help, and they offer me a "fee based support" of $80 to help me resolve the issue... I said the issue is with YOU! not me... just read your own forums.... Thx for nothing DELL

May 10th, 2015 02:00

Ahh, Yes. I remember seeing it in my search for a solution. In fact, it prompted me to start my thread.

I too get the impression that they don't care. Until they prove different, I won't be purchasing or recommending Dell product anymore.

I truly believe dell just doesn't care... they do the numbers, and realize that their time is better spent marketing new computers, then forgotten about them people.

here is an old thread of mine I started about I was trying for a year plus....

en.community.dell.com/.../19618315

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3526/t/19618315

Thanks CorvetteJoeZ06, maybe if enough of us speak up here, Dell will take notice and make an effort to help.

So, Dell, if you are listening...If you don't intend to support "My Dell Downloads" take it down but Please, give us a means to obtain our bundled software.

I currently own 3 Dell laptops, none are able to successfully register on My Dell Downloads. If you, Dell, do your part, I'll remain a customer

To top it off:

I ordered re-install media through online support on April 21 (51 days left on warranty). I received a confirmation email telling me i would be contacted. That was the end of communications, nothing since. The re-install media has not been received BUT I got an email yesterday asking me to rate the service I received on the support request.

When i was responsible for 100s of Corporate Dell systems the service was top notch, what happened Dell?

May 11th, 2015 02:00

SOUNDS GREAT!!!! Hopefully they actually figure something out.... they wouldn't help me unless I coughed up $80 when I talked to them (he did try for awhile with no luck first though). I'm looking forward to your update!

May 11th, 2015 02:00

Yesterday, I was in contact with @DellCares via twitter. After pointing them to this thread and a bit of troubleshooting they took my service tag number and contact info and asked for some time to look into the matter. So, we wait to see what happens next.

20 Posts

May 12th, 2015 23:00

Yesterday, I was in contact with @DellCares via twitter. After pointing them to this thread and a bit of troubleshooting they took my service tag number and contact info and asked for some time to look into the matter. So, we wait to see what happens next.

Good to hear something might be done about this situation soon.  I've been trying to use the My Dell Downloads site over the past few months and am getting the same problem as the OP.

On a more general note, I cannot understand the purpose of these forums if DELL doesn't make an effort to participate. It's frustrating, and in this case if the MDD site doesn't work any more, or only works for older models, tell us by putting a notice on the site. Can't be that hard, surely.

I'll wait - not with bated breath though - for a response.

20 Posts

May 12th, 2015 23:00

SOUNDS GREAT!!!! Hopefully they actually figure something out.... they wouldn't help me unless I coughed up $80 when I talked to them (he did try for awhile with no luck first though). I'm looking forward to your update!

Interesting you haven't been able to register your L702x; I have mine registered (shipping date March 2012) and I also registered an XPS One 2710 (shipping date June 2012). Nothing later than that though. I've tried to register a Latitude 3540 and an OptiPlex 9030 with no luck. Both these computers have Windows 8.1 installed so I wondered whether that was the reason the My Dell Downloads site didn't work for those two.

May 13th, 2015 01:00

No idea... mine was shipped May 2012. there is probably some weird random program that must be installed, or something not mentioned anywhere.

May 13th, 2015 08:00

Well it didn't end well. I bought the laptop used a few weeks ago. DellCares now tells me I must transfer ownership before I can get any further service. In order to do that I need the original owner info and the date of purchase. The person I bought it from says it was a gift so the info is not available. So I can't transfer ownership with Dell.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with not being able to get in to My Dell Downloads because everything else to do with the laptop on the Dell site works, the service tag scans, it updates and shows up on my system list in my account and the system shows as still having warranty. But they won't help further. So I guess I'm done.

May 13th, 2015 17:00

So, as I am on the phone waiting I thought I'd start this....

First representative after just looking up my Service Tag said since I am out of warranty it's a paid service and he would need to transfer me. I said no, give me your supervisor.

Silence then someone else came on. I asked if they were a supervisor, they weren't.... so I said what happened he said the same thing.... I said again, give me your supervisor.... 

another long hold... a manager from the "out of warranty" department comes on, I said NO, I am not paying, I am authorized access to "My Dell Downloads" and can't get there, it's not a system issue. I've not been able to access for years! And if you go on your own forums and do a search, you will see this is a huge issue! Now, quit ignoring this hoping all the old system customers just go away...

Another long hold (now 30 mins).... after I said I was documenting and recording this conversation and would post it on-line for everyone to see how they will NOT assist customers who have rights to downloads.

He directed me to "dell digital delivery" which for us older system guys doesn't have our software. Then keeps insisting that since I'm out of warranty I have to pay. I keep saying, I am still under warranty to access my dell downloads according to your own warranty page. He then tried to say, that it was only during the initial warranty. And since it's a software issue with MY computer they can't help even after I said that before I did a fresh install I couldn't, then after 2 fresh installs of windows I still couldn't....

Now 50 mins into it, I demanded his supervisor, he said it would be on a call back within 48hrs options. I said ok, but then you are transfering me to someone else in the meantime. If you want to waste my time for something I have been trying to access for years, I will waste your time and not get off the phone today until someone helps me.

OH, and He also said it was a "technical issue" and I can be assisted and given all the software if I agree to pay.... he then refused to give me his ID number and hung up on me.....

No Events found!