Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2010 13:00

Office 07, have valid key, how to transfer from one laptop to another?

I just bought a new inspiron and did not buy the office suite since I have it on my old inspiron.  I have the product key.  Do I have to transfer all the office files to my ext hdd to transfer them over?  I heard this can take hours, which is better than paying for a new version.  My company also said to find out which version is loaded on the new laptop and they might be able to get me a new key, but I think that would cost us at the end of the year. 

If so, where do I find the files, word, excel, outlook, etc and do I just transfer them over how I did so w My Docs?

If you know that answer, maybe you can answer this..... I have Outlook Express on my old laptop and had a virsus and the darn thing quit working.  Is that a free download that I can anywhere or should I just buy it?  I use it for a junk email type account.

Thanks!!

2 Posts

May 20th, 2010 15:00

thanks for that.  I should have included it is a volume license from my employer.  I just don't want to have to send it to Chicago for them to load it.  Our IT go to guy is out this week.  I am having someone look up our corp authorization # and was given the volume licensing phone # from MS..... was just hoping to do it this week on my own :)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 20th, 2010 15:00

OEM Versions of software, such as MS Office that came with a new PC is only LEGALLY licensed for the PC it was delivered with.  You can't legally install it on a different PC.  To be legal you will have to buy a new copy of Office.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 24th, 2010 14:00

You can't just copy the Office files from one PC to another. You have to install Office into Windows. So you need the Office installation CD or somebody has to run the installation with the new laptop logged into your company's network.

Ron

No Events found!