Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2010 20:00

Preloaded MS Office 2010 .... what to do???

My new Dell came preloaded with MS Office 2010 (trail version)... and a limited version of Word / Excel that can be used full time for free.... BUT... I have a full copy of MS Office 2007 (with license) that I want to install....... Since I have not activated anything that came pre-installed, do I have to remove the pre-installed version of MS Office, word and Excel before I install the MS Office 2007?  

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 18th, 2010 07:00

No you can leave the Starter (it's not a trial) Version in case you want to try it or can't activate your version.  The Starter version doesn't need activation. It's already ready to use. Do a custom install of your version of Office and name it Office2007 to keep them separate. Read about Starter Version in  this article.  Just make sure your copy of Office is not one an OEM version that came with another computer. You cannot activate it on the new computer if it has previously been activated.  It must be a retail version that has been removed from the first computer.

308 Posts

December 18th, 2010 15:00

Does your answer apply if Microsoft Office Starter 2010 was already activated and used??  After seeing it (and the advertisements at every time the program was used)  our plans have now changed...I now want to install MS 2010 Home / Student version after realizing that Outlook wasn't needed.  Is using the custom Install rather straight forward on what to do?  Will it automatically shut off  the Starter Version?

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

December 19th, 2010 03:00

Hi, I have Office Starter,  which came preloaded, and I have Office Pro Plus which I loaded, and both will work, though I don't use the Starter now.

159 Posts

December 19th, 2010 05:00

I have not tried it yet but i think as other members said, you can have both of them. A way to find it. is installing the old version 2007 and if you don't get errors, it shows that you can have both of them together.

No Events found!