Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2014 02:00

Rearrange disk space allocation (System drive 'blocking' a continuous data partition)

:emotion-9:I have a drive in my windows 7 (Bootcamped) laptop. It currently is setup with 3 partitions: OSX, Data, and Win7. I wanted to take some of the room from Win7 partition to add to Data after Steam quickly filled it up, but it seems to be configured in a way that makes this hard. Here's what it looks like in disk manager Direct image The 128MB unallocated I honestly don't know what it does but I imagine is a buffer of some sort. Anyways, I wanted the 100GB unallocated to be added to the DATA drive, but after shrinking the original BOOTCAMP drive, it created that awkward dam against a continuous partition. I thought of copying from DATA onto BOOTCAMP, then deleting DATA. I would then create one partition (under BOOTCAMP) of the entirity of the unallocated space, then shrink that again. WIth the unallocated space of that shrinkage, I would hope it would create a solid chunk of the ~200GB chunk for DATA. Thank you so much in advance if you can help! I'll be waiting until I hear back before trying anything, as I am not in a hurry.

No Responses!
No Events found!