Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

2 Posts

April 7th, 2019 16:00

GPU installation PowerEdge T640 - GPU Kit

HI - Quick Question regarding GPU 'kit' for a T640

In some earlier posts for GPU 'kits' on T630s ,  some part numbers were provided for the kit for the T630s --

• X7C1K: Power Interposer Board (PIB)
  • 4999G: plastic holder
  • DRXPD: cable

Question --- are these same part numbers the same for the T640?    I think the answer is no, but would be good to have a somewhat official answer.

I have a T640 that is missing the GPU kit option, was not ordered as part of the build, and there is not an option to send back via the refund/reorder option as it's in production.  Appreciate a quick answer on spare parts that I should look for (either via Dell direct or via reseller) to get the kit ordered.

Thanks in advance!!

\

5 Posts

April 8th, 2019 07:00

@FrankM. wrote:

Question --- are these same part numbers the same for the T640?    I think the answer is no, but would be good to have a somewhat official answer.

Frank, I have exactly the same problem as yours.  And the Dell service is driving me nuts.  I called local support (from which we ordered the server) and the only thing their "technical support" could come up with is the list of parts available that has anything to do with GPU (like 489-BBCJ and 489-BBDM).

If you have learned the answer to your question then please post it here.  I believe the part is compatible - after all it is only power supply - on the main power interpose board in the slot where you plug the GPU power interpose board you have +12V and 0V and the board we are looking for has no chip - just some capacitors/resistors so this should all be fine but I don't know for sure.

If I won't have any answer for this question soon then I think we are going to give a shot to X7C1K (the one pictured in the manual for T640 looks identical).  If that happens I will let you know the results.

Regards

5 Posts

April 9th, 2019 00:00

Frank

Yesterday I also created Service Request in Dell support with this question and today they replied that part X7C1K is compatible with T640.  We will be buying it - if I won't forget about that then I will update this thread with the results of the actual test.

Regards

2 Posts

April 9th, 2019 10:00

Koszal -

Awesome and great news!  Please do update the thread on results.   Lastly, you were able to order that part via Dell direct, yes? 

Cheers and thanks!

Frank

5 Posts

April 10th, 2019 02:00

Lastly, you were able to order that part via Dell direct, yes? 

No, they consistently say (and I've found official answer on community forum too) that it is not possible to order just the kit - so I guess I can't order only that part too.

This is insane - if we knew that there is no right power connector (like it is in every decent desktop) then we would have ordered the GPU kit at the point of purchase, even though we don't intend to use any GPU.  But now we are **bleep** - we don't have PEG 8pin connector and we can't order it and we can't return the server and order one with GPU kit.  Well done Dell.

Instead we found the part on eBay.  Seller claims it is new, looks like original.

BTW - if you are desperate and short on time then you can use the power connector 5 (if it is available in your setup) on the main power interpose board to power your GPU.  We did that :) - lower 8 pin (as shown on the photo in manual) are compatible with EPS plug so we bought two cables/adaptors cut off unneeded plugs, soldered the two together and we have our card powered :).  Be careful though to keep polarity correct - when soldering we had to match "yellow" wires with "black" ones (in laymen terms) to have correct +12V (instead of -12V).

If you decide to buy the card you will probably need also a cable.  This is female-female EPS PEG 8 pin and I could not find a decent one.  On eBay there is original one (part number DRXPD) but it costs over $20 so we decided to make another "patch" cable instead of ordering the original (I say another, since we need to power more cards and that is why we buy the GPU power board).

Regards

1 Message

November 15th, 2019 06:00

When I bought this server, I also didn't know that I need this extra card and cables to insert a GPU. The DELL support seems very bad. And that they don't sell this parts... awful

1 Message

January 14th, 2020 11:00

Koszal, is your T640 in a Rack configuration or still in Tower mode?

I am in the process of building out a T640 with 18x3.5" bays in Tower configuration and the "GPU Capable" option is only available as a Rack config with 8x3.5" bays.  The technical manual also states that GPUs are only supported in a rack config as well.  If I order the tower configuration and pick up a PIB and cable to install after it arrives, would that work?  It seems odd to only support GPUs in a rack configuration.

5 Posts

January 15th, 2020 00:00

Hello Matt

We had version with 8x3.5" bays (in 2x4 config).  I don't know how the 18x3.5" looks inside - maybe there is indeed no place to mount the cards and/or GPU Kit.  If your Dell seller will allow you to make an order for Tower config + GPU Kit you should be fine.  If not then check manual and available photos for the possibility to connect the kit and plugging the cards (and mounting them - since you need separate power for the cards they are bulky enough that they should not be hold only by the PCI slot :)).

Be sure also to order power modules (they come in various options) that are powerful enough to power all your cards.  We had this problem - two cards were within the spec (just barely) but during boot the power module was probably not able to keep the voltage and the server was going into rolling reset.

Regards

No Events found!