Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2018 12:00

New FX2 Top power supply not lit, CMC claims redundant, but front power button red X status

Hello,

Just installed a new Dell FX2 chassis that contains 4 FC640 blades.

Both power supplies are connected to two different PDU's.  I used a volt meter and got 206 volts on each cable end.  Only the bottom power supply in this chassis illuminates a green handle in the back.  The top power supply is not illuminated.  Initially all the LEDs were orange and the CMC web interface claimed that the top power supply was NOT redundant.  After much unplugging and plugging back in, and removing the power supply and putting it back in, it finally claimed the system was redundant, and lights on the front went green.  There is still a blinking amber light by the CMC nic ports in the rear top left of the chassis.

So before I make this production I want to confirm this behavior.  I have another FX2 split across these two PDU's and both of those power supply handles are illuminated green.  They are 1600W power supplies though powering 4 FC430's, whereas the new chassis has 2000W power supplies.

Also on  the main page of the CMC, it shows the front left power button blocked out in red with an X on it, however there are no system alerts.  True this power button on the front of the chassis is NOT illuminated like our 8 blade FX2 chassis below it.  Also this power button doesn't do anything.  I'm a little concerned.  Though a small test VM in the compute sled 1 works great, I want to ensure its all good before putting a production load on this chassis.

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

359 Posts

March 9th, 2018 15:00

I pulled both power feeds from this chassis and waited a few minutes.  I then plug both feeds back in.

After a couple of minutes I logged in and now the front panel is no longer showing a red X over the front chassis power button.  The front panel power button now has a green illuminated LED on it.

The only thing is around the back of the FX2 chassis, the top power supply's rear handle is not illuminated green like the one below it.  However in the CMC web interface it indicates both power supplies are healthy.  It even correctly detects if I would unplug and plug the power feed back into this power supply.  It's really odd because the 8 bay FX2 chassis below it with the 1600W power supplies both have illuminated green handles.  It appears to be working so its simply a cosmetic issue, but its just odd to me.

2 Intern

• 

359 Posts

March 12th, 2018 13:00

Dell support worked with me and we powered down the four blades, pulled power, swapped the power supplies, held the power button down in the front of the chassis for 30 seconds to relieve any residual charge, and then plugged the power leads back in.  Now both power supplies illuminate their handles with a green LED glow.  

The fourth blade would not link up on the 10gig nics but I removed and re-inserted the bottom IO Pass-through module and now everything is working well again.

No Events found!