Rack Servers

Last reply by 08-01-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

R740XD fan speed at 100% when connecting the 4x 2,5" backplane

Hi all,

The rear backplane on my 14th gen R740XD (iDRAC9) is causing the fans to run at 100% constantly. Does not matter if it's occupied with disks or not.
As soon as I disconnect the rear backplane and start the server again, the fans run at normal speed.

I've been searching online, but can't seem to find users with a similar issue. Any ideas? Any additional info I should provide?

BIOS version: 2.14.2
iDRAC firmware version: 6.00.00.00

Thanks in advance!

PJ

Solutions (2)

Accepted Solutions
Dell Technologies

Can you check whether you have a Standard or High Performance Fan? R740xd with rear backplane need high performance FAN. You can refer below link for FAN requirement for various configuration

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-r740xd/per740xd_techspecs_pub/thermal-restricti... 

Thanks,
DELL-Shine K
#IWork4Dell

View solution in original post

Bingo, I think you're on to something here. It's a refurbished system and they shipped it with the standard performance fans. I'll see if I can get the performance fans and if that fixes the issue.

Thank you for your help!

View solution in original post

Replies (7)

Hello,

where did you get this idrac version?

I see in our site the last iDRAC version is this 5.10.30.00:

https://dell.to/3PDLURZ

Please can you install this version?

Thanks
Marco

Marco B.
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Looks like 6.00.00.00 was released but immediately taken offline again. I had already reverted to 5.10.30.00 but the issue remains.

Where do you see that fan are at 100% ? Because it is normal that fans increase speed when rear backplane is installed.

Can you check also PERC firmware?

Thanks
Marco

Marco B.
Social Media and Communities Professional
Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services
#Iwork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Accept as Solution’
‘Kudo’ the posts you like!
Dell Technologies

Can you check whether you have a Standard or High Performance Fan? R740xd with rear backplane need high performance FAN. You can refer below link for FAN requirement for various configuration

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-r740xd/per740xd_techspecs_pub/thermal-restricti... 

Thanks,
DELL-Shine K
#IWork4Dell

Bingo, I think you're on to something here. It's a refurbished system and they shipped it with the standard performance fans. I'll see if I can get the performance fans and if that fixes the issue.

Thank you for your help!

Hi Marco,

All firmware is updated to the latest version. PERC is at 51.16.0-4076.

Fan speeds with (empty) rear backplane attached:

fullspeed.PNG

I can't set the minimum fan speed to lower as 100 either:

100limit.PNG

Fan speeds without (empty) rear backplane attached:

Capture.PNG

I think the solution will be what Shine K suggested. Thanks a lot guys.

I've received the high performance fans and everything is running as expected now. Thanks a lot!
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor