Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

May 10th, 2019 00:00

windows installation

Hi,

Can i use use the windows os ( 7/8.1/10 ) in my Dell Poweredge R2950.

I am not able to install os. It is compatible for windows ( 7/8.1/10 ) or not?

Please suggest.

• 

8.8K Posts

May 10th, 2019 07:00

JoshiD,

The OS's you listed are workstation based Operating Systems, and are not intended for use on Enterprise equipment, so there is a lack of drivers available with those OS's. What I can suggest is that you use the Windows Server version of the drivers, as they share the same kernel as some of those OS's, such as Win7 and Server 2008.

Hope this helps

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 10th, 2019 12:00

If you need to run Windows 7/8/10 on the 2950, the "right" way to do it would be to run them as virtual machines.

Which one are you trying to install and where are you getting stuck?

I'll reiterate what Chris said, that client Windows OS's are NOT supported on server hardware. They may work, but they are not designed to.

2 Posts

May 18th, 2019 02:00

I just want to know,

is it possible to install windows os or not on the R2950??

Because during installation time drives not showing, so i am unable to select drive where i want to install os.

If this is any drivers issue, can you suggest which driver compatible for showing the drives.

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

May 20th, 2019 08:00

It is not compatible. 

#Iwork4Dell

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 20th, 2019 09:00

"Because during installation time drives not showing, so i am unable to select drive where i want to install os."

Don't waste your time with Windows 10 ... appears from other threads that Server 2016 isn't compatible.

Windows 7 and 8.1 should both have drivers for the PERC 6 built-in (may need to ensure Windows 7 SP1 media is being used). Since you aren't seeing drives, it is most likely because you haven't configured RAID first. Configure and initialize RAID, then attempt to install, otherwise no storage can be presented to Windows.

There is no guarantee that Windows 7 or 8 will work ... maybe, but maybe not - it was not designed to work.

No Events found!