Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2012 00:00

Impact of setting CG a distributed CG

Hello Everyone,

We are using recoverpoint 3.4 SP3 and have a CG of around 8 TB size in sync that we would like to set as distributed due to often high load conditions. I would like to know the impact it will cause. I have been informed that it will result in Full Sweep and a full copy of the data will be replicated to the DR, as if you are starting the replication from the beginning as if it is a new CG.

Has anyone performed such a change? I was hoping recoverpoint will be smart enough to replicate only the changes or short initialization ultimately but from above statement it may take days or a week over 100 MB dedicated WAN link.

Thank you in advance

~Sameer

1.1K Posts

December 7th, 2012 14:00

I have tried it several times and a full sweep will not occur. You may see a short init depending on the levels of write throughput at the time of the change but as I stated previously only journal loss will occur. This is documented in the RP Admin Guide.

1.1K Posts

December 7th, 2012 08:00

Hi Sameer,

When a Normal CG is reconfigured to be a Distributed CG a full sweep does NOT occur but it does need to roll the journal lag and then it will clear the jounral.

Regards,

Richard

12 Posts

December 7th, 2012 10:00

Thanks Richard,

Support mis-guided me by saying full sweep will occur. Have you performed such a change? If yes, How long did it take to resync?

Regards,

Sameer Khan

~Sent from my Android phone

Message was edited by: Sameer.Khan

August 20th, 2014 02:00

What will happen if we convert a Distributed CG to Normal CG, it will go for a full sweep but will it really delete the complete data on the DR LUN? I did Normal CG to DCG and it didn't took much time....

No Events found!