Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2010 14:00

Moving RecoverPoint to new Array

Hi Everyone,

I've got a working RecoverPoint S/E Installation running on a Clariion CX3-20 array using the array splitter and everything is working just fine. We have purchased a CX4-120 and have the splitter installed but now we need to move RecoverPoint over to this array and start replication however I'm having trouble finding documentation for how to do this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to proceed with this move?

October 5th, 2010 19:00

Just closing this as I worked out how to do most of it and thought I would pass on the details in case it helps someone else.

I ended up using SANCopy in incremental mode to move the journal and the replication volumes to the new array. Since the moving the journal forces a full sweep I did both items in the one step to reduce the time taken.

Only step now is to look at how to migrate the Repository Volume, I'm pretty sure it's not going to like a SANCopy but will investigate further.

117 Posts

October 6th, 2010 08:00

using Sancopy for the production luns ok, but you did not buy anything using it for journals as they get wiped anyway.

Today there is no way to do this without a disruption to replication.

highlevel these are the steps, but open a support request and get a CCA approved for the changes, they can provide more details and validation.

1) you will want to save_settings and save_account settings.

2) disable all CG's

4) detach all RPA's at the site where the array is changing.

5) zone mask new repository

6) format the new repository

7) select this new repository and attach all rpa's to new repository

8) start management GUI.. you will be warned of a conflict in the configuration and give a choice of which site wins.. choose the site that did not have the array changed.

9)enable all CG's (full sweep will occur)

October 6th, 2010 14:00

Thanks Rick,

Your absolutely correct about the Journal LUN's, after I did the first one I realised they were being wiped so I did a SANCopy of the Replication LUN and then added that to the Consistency Group along with the new blank journals.

Thanks for the info on moving the Repository Volumes, it's a great help!

33 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 12:00

hi,how to format new repository ? If i dettach both RPAs on site 2 and mask new Repository from new san ,  How it will be format ?

November 22nd, 2011 14:00

Having performed the move above I would recommend that if your not entirely comfortable with RecoverPoint that you open a support request.

Please note that performing the move often requires licence reactivation and it will almost certainly entail a full volume sweep so you need to plan accordingly.

To work with the repository volumes you need to connect to the RPA cluster via SSH, the commands within will do what you require you just need to use the boxmgmt account.

November 22nd, 2011 23:00

Hello,

Thank you for contacting EMC.

What is your license name (RP classic or RP/SE)? Are you going to grab the new repository lun from the same array or any plan to migrate to different array? If could help to answer these questions, I can able to help with better resolution.

Regards

Suresh Thirumalaisamy

Suresh Thirumalaisamy

Technical Support Engineer

Worldwide Technical Support - IMG RecoverPoint

Office Hours: Sun-Thur, 20:00 to 05:00 hrs EST

Phone : (US Tollfree)1-800-782-4362 || Extn 7633381

Email : Suresh_Thirumalaisamy@emc.com

Please let us know what you think of the level of service provided by sending an email to my manager,

Vashisht, Mohit @ (Mohit.Vashisht@emc.com)

33 Posts

December 6th, 2011 15:00

hi suresh  . its RP/SE ,  customer ready for full sweep.

do i need to run deployment manager and then configure the new repository?

December 8th, 2011 02:00

Hello,

Thank you for contacting EMC.

In RP/SE, Migrating the repository to new san would cause a disruptive process and Deployment manager needs to be used in order to carry out this activity. You can download this utility and procedure generator guide from http://powerlink.emc.com to find the respective steps.

Kindly remember that, formatting the repository volume on new san would use a new Installation ID and activation code, license details needs to be changed after the migration.

Let me know in case of any queries/issues. Thank you.

Regards

Suresh Thirumalaisamy

Suresh Thirumalaisamy

Please let us know what you think of the level of service provided by sending an email to my manager,

33 Posts

December 10th, 2011 03:00

hi,

yeah its disruptive, but if we change only site 2 san, do we still need deployment manager ?

is this will be new installation ?

Best Regards

Syed Ahmar Amjad

Technical Team Leader

MDS Systems Integration – STORAGE SOLUTIONS | P.O.Box: 7899 ,

Abu Dhabi, UAE. Website : www.mds-si.com

Tel: +9712 6262900 Ext 294 | Fax: +9712 6262455 | Cell: +971 50 3276876

Empower your Business with BlackBerry® and Mobile Solutions from Etisalat

December 12th, 2011 03:00

Hello Syed,

Yes, still we need deployment manager as a best practise otherwise EMC Support team can able to assist you to carry out this activity without Deployment manager but it is a distruptive process again. Even if you attempt to change site 2 san, Repository would need to be updated and othersite cluster won't be updated in case of any new san which mean to say that, there would be conflict.

you may format the same repository from the same array which won't impact your installation ID but anything from new array would change the installation ID and need new set of license details along with installation ID

Let me know in case of any queries/issues. thank you.

Regards

Suresh Thirumalaisamy

Suresh Thirumalaisamy

153 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 23:00

Yes, part of the full sweep process only blocks that need to be transferred, will be sent.

Sent from my iPhone

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

Hi,

Just read your post.  I do have a similar scenario like yours.   I need to migrate the CRR target storage from VNX to VNX2 and due to Bandwidth limitation (6Mb/s), I need to reduce the synchronization timing.   I was thought of sancopy the CRR target LUN to new array and delete the CG and create the CG again with the pairing.   I just want to know do you observe that there is a really reduction in term of synchronization.   The RPA documentation did mention that RPA will compare the block and won't simply resend the entire block if they are same.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

If the data is identical then the resync of blocks will transmit approximately 2% of the data of a full transfer. If some of the blocks are different then these blocks will also be transmitted.

The mechanism of the copy does not matter as long as it is a bit for bit block copy. It is critical that there is 100% alignment. If you use a mechanism. If the data is offset by one bit or one byte then all the non-empty blocks would be copied in full. Empty blocks are of course very efficient to transmit.

No Events found!