Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2016 03:00

RP4VM networking and vRA

Hi,

We are testing our “Oracle DBaaS Protection on EHC4.0” solution and running failover/failback using the rp4vm plug-in in the vSphere web client. As a result we have a few questions that we would like to ask, to make sure we understand how we can/should use rp4vm best.

We protect our (Linux) Oracle VM’s and see them in their rp4vm consistency groups.

For fail over (and fail back), we follow the procedure for failover from the RP4VM 4.3 Administrator’s Guide, chapter “Testing and recovery”, “Failing over”.

(1) VMs with multiple NICs

Are there any requirements with regard to networking connectivity? Should udev rules (standard on Linux VMs) be set to ensure that (in case of a linux VM with multiple NIC’s) the NIC’s always get connected back to the same Ethernet adapter (ifcfg-ethN)? Or does rp4vm ensure that this is always the same?

(2) VM copy: vRA?

The VMs in “Oracle DBaaS on EHC4.0” are provisioned from EHC (i.e. from vRealize Automation or vRA). The copy VM does not appear to be under vRA control? Are we missing a step in the failover process?

(3) VM copy: VM name

We see that the VM copy has a different VM name; it is called “ .copy”. Is that hard-coded or is that maybe something we can configure? I presume it’s not possible to keep the same VM name for the copy?

Thanks!

Ed

153 Posts

August 31st, 2016 06:00

Hi Ed,

1. Ensure that you're not seeing this VMW KB2099117. You can also edit the network settings on the shadow VM and those settings will be used on the Copy VM when doing a failover.
  2. I would defer to my colleagues at EHC (will have someone answer this), but typically the Copy VM is not registered in the inventory, you will only be able to see the Shadow VM until you go into image access during test or failover operation
  3. It's in a way as long as you have RPVM auto-provision the copy VM, otherwise if you select an existing target VM to be the copy, we can use that too.

Thanks, Zahid

20 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 07:00

Regarding the copy VM not showing up on inventory.

With EHC, the shadow VM is always associated to the shadow user configured.

After failover, you need to run the post failover catalog item to show the copy VM to the user in the inventory.

Hope, it helps.

Thanks,

Suresh.

10 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 07:00

Many thanks Suresh (and Zahid). All taken on board!

No Events found!